Crisp chocolate & peppermint cookies covered in smooth white chocolate and topped with peppermint candy make these Peppermint Chocolate Cookies the perfect Christmas treat!
We’ve finally made it to the end of 12 Days of Cookies! It’s been such a fun month sharing with you some of my favorite Christmas and holiday cookies that I’m almost sad to see it end!
Ha! Just kidding. Making 12 types cookies all at once was hard and very time consuming! But, the pay off was oh-so-delicious! And I was able to share holiday boxes filled to the brim with these cookies with Emily’s teachers and office staff at her school. They, of course, loved it and ranted and raved over how delicious they all were! It’s quite something to see a box with a dozen different kinds of cookies and know that one person made them!
This final day of cookies brings you one cookie with two classic holiday flavors. Chocolate & peppermint. You really can’t go wrong with this combination. The cookie is a crisp and crunchy dark chocolate & peppermint cookie that’s similar to cookie part of a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie. It’s then covered in creamy white chocolate and garnished with crushed peppermint candy. These delicious Peppermint Chocolate Cookies will surely please the kids and grown-ups in your family!
Although my cookies are hardly”perfect” looking – I quite like the messiness of them. I think it makes them look homemade, real and like I really put heart into making them. I think they’re perfect!
If you’ve missed out on any of the cookies in the 12 Days of Cookies, make sure to check out the main page where you can see photos and links to all the cookies! If you have made any of these cookies, I’d really love to see them! Post a picture on my Facebook wall or send me an email! It really warms my heart knowing that my recipes have added some joy to you and your family this holiday season!
So… from my family to yours, I’d like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 30 peppermint candies, crushed
- 2 pounds white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Add egg and egg yolk and mix until well incorporated. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Beat in the peppermint extract.
- In two parts, add the flour mixture and mix on medium speed until just incorporated.
- With your hands, form the dough into a large disc and cut in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour or refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Onto a floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8" thickness.
- Using a 2" round cookie cutter, cut out discs of dough. Place the cut dough onto the cookie sheet and freeze until firm - about 10-15 minutes.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the cookies are dry to the touch and are not soft in the center. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- In a double broiler, melt the white chocolate until smooth.
- Dunk cooled cookies in the melted white chocolate until completely covered. Tap off the excess chocolate and scrape off the excess chocolate from the bottom of each cookie. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the top of the chocolate covered cookies with crushed peppermint candies.
- Refrigerate until set. Store in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe from Mimi's Kitchen
Want more cookies?
Check out the main page for the 12 Days of Cookies and you’ll find the links to all the recipes!