This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older. #CelebratorySips #BecauseSummer #LoveThyNeighborhood #CollectiveBias
Creamy vanilla pudding layered with shortbread cookies and bananas paired with Malibu and Jameson make this Boozy Banana Pudding the perfect grown-up treat!
I’ve never made homemade Boozy Banana Pudding before. To be honest, I did not really think it was a thing that people did because all I knew was those little pudding mix boxes from the baking aisle at the grocery store.
When I thought about making banana pudding from scratch, I reached out to my friends on social media and asked them what made their favorite banana pudding so amazing.
Every person answered that the pudding had to be made from scratch and contain at least rum.
So that’s what I did. I made a Boozy Banana Pudding from scratch featuring Malibu, an original coconut rum from the Caribbean, where the spirit of summer shines all year round, and Jameson, a blend of pot still and grain whiskey from Ireland that is triple distilled; and remarkably smooth.
Making the pudding for this Boozy Banana Pudding isn’t a difficult undertaking. In a sturdy medium size pot, combine sugar, corn starch, salt and egg yolks.
Whisk all those ingredients together until you get what looks like a clumpy mess. No worries, though, because it will loosen up as soon as you add the milk.
Pour in the milk and whisk together over medium heat until the sugar and eggs dissolve and the mixture is smooth.
You’ll want to pay very close attention to this next part. I made the mistake of stepping away and burnt the pudding. You don’t want that. Learn from my mistake and DO NOT STEP AWAY for the next 5-7 minutes!
Whisk, whisk, whisk your little heart out until the mixture comes to a simmer and begins to thicken. As soon as the pudding begins to thicken up (it happens quick and you’ll have mere seconds before it burns) remove it from the heat and whisk until thick.
Next up is the butter, vanilla paste, and Malibu.
The rum what gives this Boozy Banana Pudding it’s distinct flavor and the butter ensure it will be velvety smooth.
You’ll whisk all of that together while the pudding is still warm. Transfer the entire mixture to a large glass bowl.
Make sure to scrape down the pot to ensure every last drop of pudding gets in the bowl!
Finally, press a piece of plastic wrap over the pudding so that a film does not form on top while chilling. Place bowl in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours so that the flavors have time to form and the pudding sets.
When you’re ready to serve the boozy banana pudding, get 4 mason jars, shortbread cookies, bananas, and make the Jameson whipped cream.
I liked using shortbread cookies for this Boozy Banana Pudding because they seemed to hold up a lot better than the traditional vanilla cookies that are normally used.
There is a lot of moisture sitting on top of the pudding and under the bananas and having a cookie that is not only delicious but will stand up to that is essential in creating the perfect Boozy Banana Pudding.
Assembling these desserts is quick and easy. Simply layer pudding, cookies, bananas three times. Add a dollop of Jameson whipped cream to the top, sprinkle cinnamon and garnish with a cookie and banana.
Pure Boozy Banana Pudding Perfection.
Serve the Boozy Banana Pudding immediately. You can store them overnight if you have extra, but the cookies will get a bit soggy the next day.
My husband enjoyed his delicious dessert with a glass of Jameson on the rocks and said it was the perfect night cap for his long day.
The perfect drink to go with this Boozy Banana Pudding needs to be light and refreshing.
A Rum Raspberry Spritzer will cool you down on the hottest day and is the perfect sidekick to the banana pudding.
To make the Rum Raspberry Spritzer, you’ll need:
- Malibu Rum
- Raspberry Seltzer Water
- Fresh Raspberries
Depending on how strong you like your drinks, pour 1-2oz of Malibu into a glass filled with berries and ice. Fill the glass with the bubbly water and give it a quick stir with a spoon. Pop in a straw and enjoy!
This spritzer could be easily changed using any flavor seltzer water and any fruit you like! Pick your favorite flavors, the combination possibilities are endless!Print
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp corn starch
- scant 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 Tbsp Malibu
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp Jameson
- 3 large bananas, sliced
- 2 boxes shortbread cookies (the red box)
- In a heavy bottom medium pot, combine the sugar, salt, eggs, and corn starch with a whisk.
- Turn on the heat to medium and add in the milk. Whisk to combine and until smooth.
- Keep whisking for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture simmers and begins to thicken.
NOTE: Do not step away during this part! The mixture burns easily when not being whisked!
- Once it thickens up, remove from the heat and continue whisking for another minute.
- Add the butter, Malibu and vanilla paste and whisk to combine.
- Transfer the pudding into a large glass bowl. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the pudding so a film doesn’t form while chilling.
- Chill for 4 hours.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, combine the cream, sugar and Jameson.
- Whisk on high for 2-3 minutes or until the cream stiffens.
- Mix until you reach your desired whipped cream consistency
- Scoop chilled pudding into a mason jar filling about a quarter of the jar.
- Layer cookies then bananas.
NOTE: Try to layer the bananas flat so it creates a boundary for the next layer of pudding.
- Repeat pudding, cookies, bananas.
- Finish it off with one final scoop of pudding, a dollop of whipped cream, a dash of cinnamon, cookie piece and banana slice.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: banana pudding
- Save $2.00 now
- Start date: 07/15/18
- End date: 08/18/18
- Offer: Save $2.00 NOW on the purchase of any ONE (1) 750ml bottle of JAMESON® IRISH WHISKEY or MALIBU®.
- Valid in: Alaska, Arizona, California, Kentucky, Michigan, New Mexico, Nevada, West Virginia, Wyoming
- Save $3.00 by mail
- Start date: 07/15/18
- End date: 08/18/18
- Offer: Save $3.00 BY MAIL on the purchase of any ONE (1) 750ml bottle of JAMESON® IRISH WHISKEY or MALIBU®.
- Valid in: Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, South Carolina, Washington
SIP EASY. ENJOY MALIBU RESPONSIBLY. MALIBU® Caribbean Rum With Coconut Liqueur. 21% – 24% Alc./Vol. ©2017 Pernod Ricard USA, New York, NY
JAMESON® Irish Whiskey. 40% Alc./Vol. (80 Proof). Product of Ireland. ©2018 Imported by John Jameson Import Company, New York, NY