I had an order for a client today for some decadent Mocha cupcakes. Mmmm coffee and chocolate… you really can’t go wrong with that combo. I decided that I would take my new favorite chocolate recipe that normally calls for the use of a Guinness beer and sub that for brewed coffee to create more of a mocha flavor. I then topped the cupcake with a basic chocolate buttercream but threw in a little bit of cream cheese for some extra tang and smoothness. Really though, this recipe for chocolate cupcakes I’m finding to be very versatile and it creates a moist, dense cupcake… every time! So although this post is short and sweet… these Mocha Mocha cupcakes are FULL of flavor! YUM!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp espresso powder (HEAPING tbsps!)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (if you don’t have buttermilk, add 1tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-high, heat and whisk the butter and brewed coffee together until the butter has melted.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and espresso powder and heat until simmering. You want the mixture to thicken, but not boil. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- While the chocolate/butter mix is heating/cooling, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- SLOWLY pour the chocolate mix into the egg mix, whisking constantly. NOTE: Add only a couple tbsp to temper the eggs. You don’t want to add so much hot liquid too quickly, it will cook the eggs. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Whisk the flour/sugar into the wet mixture in two parts. Whisk about 50 strokes.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 with batter.
- Bake 18-19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Rotate pan after 12 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool in pan for 4-5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp espresso powder mixed with 2 tbsp warm whipping/heavy cream
- 2lbs powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping/heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Mix in the cocoa powder and espresso powder/cream. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the powdered sugar in two parts. Add a few tbsp of heavy cream after each addition. Beat on high until smooth.
- Mix in the salt. Scrape sides of the bowl.
- Add the remaining heavy cream until you get the consistency and texture you want.
- Beat for 4-5 minutes on high.