It was by chance that I found out about Confections Cupcakery. I was meeting a colleague half way between our offices in Manassas, VA at a Starbucks when as I was pulling in to the parking lot I noticed a huge cupcakes sign in the window across the street.
GASP!! It was a cupcake shop! I knew I had to stop inside!
At first glance, Confections seemed like a typical American cupcake store full of cute baking and cupcake decorations. The smell was so sweet and inviting! I couldn’t wait to see what kind of cupcakes they had behind the counter!
Their kitchen/prep area was actually out in the open, which I love when cupcake shops have that set up! I love being able to watch the bakers and decorators practice their craft. It’s inspiring and I love seeing the techniques others use.
Their shelves were fully stocked with a wide range of cupcake flavors and because I’m me, I couldn’t just pick one or two. I got a dozen. One of 12 different flavors!
It was just before Easter, so I made sure to pick the cupcake ready for the Spring holiday. The rest were a variety of vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter, and fruit.
From top to bottom, left to right…
OREO, Lime, Marshmallow Sundae
Triple Chocolate, Strawberry, PB Cup (filled)
Chocolate Raspberry, Red Velvet, Easter
Maple Bacon, Rocky Road, Orange
What makes these cupcakes the BEST CUPCAKES IN VIRGINIA ?
- SIZE: Compared to others, these cupcakes are just the right size. Not too big and not too small. The ratio of cake to frosting is exactly how I like it… about 1/3 frosting to 2/3 cake.
- FLAVOR: Each cupcake I tasted actually tasted like what its name said. They didn’t taste artificial and the flavor combinations were perfect. I loved that they had the basics but the special flavors were a bit fancy without being too over the top.
- CAKE: The cake on these cupcakes was moist with the perfect crumb. They were sturdy enough to hold up to the frosting without being overly dense.
- FROSTING: American buttercream – not too sweet and not too buttery. The frosting on these cupcakes was so delicious that I could have licked it all off and eaten it alone… which I never do!
- APPEARANCE: For me, these are exactly what cupcakes should look like. The cakes themselves are similar in size, even with the different recipes. The frosting on top is a perfect swirl or dollop and even though they are garnished differently, they still feel uniform – you know they’ve come from the same bakery. Simple, delicious, and beautiful.
My Personal Favorites:
I’m a sucker for a good Oreo cupcake and this does not disappoint! The cake is rich and the creamy Oreo frosting is the perfect topper!
OMG. This Peanut Butter Cup cupcake is filled with even more delicious peanut butter goodness! It’s heaven. Sinful… but heavenly.
I’ve been on a lime kick lately and their Lime cupcake is the perfect combination of tart and sweet! Plus the cute little gummy on top adds a sweet extra kick of tarty goodness!
If you’re in Northern Virginia – you must swing by Manassas and try these cupcakes for yourself!