When my good friend Chrissy asked me to make cupcakes for her in-laws that were coming to visit her family here in Germany, I couldn’t say no. Joe and Liz are from Oregon and love coffee, so I thought what better than a coffee based cupcake!
But who are we kidding though… just coffee? Seriously, I had to spice things up a bit!! A little Irish Creme, a little caramel, a little brown sugar and cinnamon and BAM… you’ve got these super delicious Caramel Creme Latte cupcakes!
These cupcakes are moist, dense and full of flavor. I wanted to make sure they had a stronger coffee flavor, so I added both brewed coffee and espresso powder. I think that combo, plus the few extras I threw in, really did the trick.
Caramel Crème Latte cupcakes
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen regular size cupcakes and 12 mini cupcakes
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp espresso powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 cup strongly brewed coffee, cooled to warm
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup Irish crème liquor (I used Bailey’s)
12 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
6 large egg yolks
- Brew the coffee and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees and line cupcake pans with liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, espresso powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup that pours, mix together the coffee, milk and Irish crème.
- With an electric mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together. One at a time, add the eggs and mix after each.
- Add a third of the flour mixture and beat on slow just until incorporated.
- Add half the coffee/milk and mix until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Repeat with remaining flour and coffee/milk. NOTE: Make sure to only mix until the flour and liquid are combined, do not over mix!
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Bake for 18 minutes. Rotate pan after 12 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 lbs powdered sugar, sifted
2 tbsp espresso powder, divided
2 tbsp hot water
¼- ½ cup milk or cream
- Gently heat ½ cup of milk in a small pan. Dissolve 1 tbsp espresso powder in milk. Set aside to cool.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp espresso powder in 2 tbsp hot water. Set aside to cool.
- With an electric or hand mixer, cream the butter.
- One cup at a time, add the sugar. Mix until smooth, scraping the sides after each addition.
- Add the water/espresso powder, mix.
- Continue adding the powdered sugar, alternate with a tablespoon of the milk. Only add enough milk until you get yours desired consistency. You may not need all of the milk.
- Beat on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Pipe frosting on each cupcake.
- Prepare your favorite caramel sauce and drizzle on top of each cupcake.
- Top with a espresso bean of your choice!
I decided that I also wanted to make some mini cupcakes out of this recipe. So, here they are… I call them Espresso Shots!