This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser.
All opinions are mine alone. #DrPepperPickYourPepper
If you’re anything like me, whenever you see a unicorn your heart skips a beat and your heart fills with thoughts of rainbows and all thinks pink! Let this Backyard Unicorn Party tutorial filled with mystical must-haves show you that unicorn dreams really do come true and they come in shades of pastel cotton candy and cupcakes.
Backyard Unicorn Party
To throw your own Backyard Unicorn Party, you’ll need to start with some inspiration! My inspiration came from the limited edition Dr Pepper® “Pick your Pepper” packaging that features a unicorn on each can!
From there, everything to plan this backyard party was themed around the unicorn. All the pink. All the purple. All the teal. All the pretties! All the unicorns!
These limited edition Dr Pepper cans along with other designs can be found at your local Kroger store and from June 15 – August 15 (or while supplies last). June 21 – August 15, if you buy 3 Dr Pepper 12pk or 8pk 12oz (any variety), you get a FREE 20oz!
Make sure to scan the Snapchat code on your free 20oz bottle to receive an exclusive Pick Your Pepper Snapchat filter. Use this filter to take pictures at your party for added fun!
Defining the Space with Decorations
Since this is a Backyard Unicorn Party, I knew I wouldn’t need too many decorations to hang on walls, etc. However, I wanted to use some elements of the party to help define the space we were using.
The dessert table is always a focal point at my parties. I fill it with themed desserts and display them using texture, themed colors, cake stands and coordinating plates.
For this unicorn party, I used paper circle fans to add height to the space as well as using tassel garland to bring the table down. Doing this is an easy way to add drama to the dessert table and entire party.
The main table was so fun to set up! Each place setting featured a plate for the meal and one for dessert as well as a napkin, candy suckers and a unicorn sugar cookie! Of course, Dr Pepper Pick Your Pepper unicorn cans were included with each setting.
The centerpiece of the table was a vase filled high with balloon wands and on each side of the wands were Dr Pepper Cream Pops. Yum!
I always like to provide extra seating aside from the main table at a party. To define this space, I hung a tissue tassel garland over two chairs positioned at an angle in the corner. On the chairs sat a plush unicorn pillow and the party favor.
Dessert Table Details
One of my favorite details at a party are the sweet desserts featured on the dessert table. For this party, all the desserts were unicorn and fairytale themed!
The cupcakes were super simple to make. I used a vanilla box cake mix and baked the cupcakes in my favorite pink and white dot cupcake liners. I topped the cupcakes with purple whipped vanilla buttercream and a mix of super cute sprinkles.
Simple to make and super cute!
Cereal treats are my go-to dessert at parties. They are the simplest dessert to make because they are only 3 ingredients and take only 5 minutes to put together.
For this unicorn party, I added a few drops of pink food gel coloring to the melted marshmallow before adding the cereal treats. I then added a variety of themed sprinkles to the mix and more on top. Perfect for this party!
I’ve seen candy bark on tops of cakes and have always wanted to make it myself. This unicorn party was the perfect excuse! Follow these easy steps to make Unicorn Bark:
- Melt pink, purple, blue and white candy circles in separate bowls.
- Immediately drop colors of melted candy onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper until it’s covered.
- Pound the baking sheet flat on the counter to level out the colors.
- Use a knife or spatula to swirl the colors together
- Finish off with a sprinkle mix!
- Allow to harden completely (3-4 hours)
- Using a sharp knife on a flat surface, press into the bark until it breaks organically. Don’t force this process, the bark looks better when it breaks on its own.
To save myself some time, I also purchased a few items at the store to fill out the candy table. My kids love salt water taffy and cotton candy, so that was what I picked for this party!
You could use any candy for this that matches your colors!
Dr Pepper Cream Pops
Of course, I had to make something delicious using Dr Pepper! Being a backyard party, I created a simple, yet delicious cream pop flavored with Dr Pepper. You can see the complete recipe for the Dr Pepper Cream Pops at the bottom of this post.
Unicorn Sugar Cookies
No party would be complete for me without sugar cookies frosted with buttercream! I used my favorite recipe for the cookies and buttercream and found a unicorn cookie cutter at the craft store.
The supplies you’ll need are:
- Disposable piping bags
- Piping tip #3 (very small round) and #17 (small star) and #1 (tiny round)
- Buttercream in white, pink, purple, and black
- Edible gold dust & small paint brush (new)
To decorate the cookies:
- Fill a piping bag fitted with the #3 small round tip with white frosting.
- Pipe the horn on the cookie first with the white. Using the edible gold dust and the small brush, tap the dust onto the frosting horn until completely covered. Tap off the excess.
- Still with the white, pipe a border around the entire cookie. Using a back and forth motion, fill in the cookie with buttercream.
- Take a piping bag fitted with the #17 small star and fill it with half purple and half pink frosting. (Press the first color against the side of the bag all the way to the bottom then repeat with the second color. Squeeze the bag gently until both colors come out.)
- Pipe small stars/swirls where the unicorn mane would be.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with the #1 tiny round tip with black buttercream. Pipe eyes and lashes onto each cookie.
Games & Party Favors
This unicorn party had to have party favors and games! Seriously, it’d be no fun without them! Simple games and prizes are a must for my parties!
Pick Your Pepper Ball Toss
Super simple and fun game for any party is the ball toss!
Simply stack up 10 cans of Dr Pepper and toss a ball at them. First person to knock them all down on the first try, WINS!
Great thing about this game, no extra supplies needed!
Since we couldn’t ride actual unicorns at this party, the next best thing is to use our magical fairytale wands to wish for them.
To make the wands you’ll need:
- Long craft sticks
- Curling ribbon
- 5″ balloons
To assemble the wands you’ll need to:
- Fill each balloon with confetti.
- Blow the balloon up with air and tie it with a knot.
- Using the curing ribbon, tie the bottom of the balloon (under the knot) to the craft stick with a tight knot.
- Add extra ribbon and curl.
As a prize for the game or a party favor for one lucky guest at your party, provide them with a gift! At my local craft store, I spotted this unicorn patch and coordinating clutch. For just a few dollars, I DIY’d a themed gift for the party!
Your unicorn party doesn’t have to look like mine because inspiration can come from anywhere and be anything! So, make sure to check out the Dr Pepper Pick Your Pepper 12oz cans and 20oz bottles this summer and get inspired to create a fun party for your friends and family!
- 1 container of Extra Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream, softened
- 1 can Dr Pepper
- 12 ice pop molds
- In a large bowl, scoop in the softened ice cream
- Slowly pour the Dr Pepper in with the ice cream
- Using a whisk or hand mixer/immersion blender, mix together the ice cream and Dr Pepper until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a measuring cup that pours.
- Pour the mixture into the ice pop molds.
- Freeze overnight or until solid.