Add excitement and fun to your next Toy Story themed party with these Alien Cupcakes! By using my simple decorating techniques to make these Toy Story Alien Cupcakes, your guests will “be eternally grateful” for your effort!
Today is Matty’s 2nd birthday! I can’t believe that 2 years of his life have already come and gone. It just seems like yesterday that I was celebrating his first birthday with these Sesame Street cupcakes!
Two weekends ago, we celebrated his birthday with a huge joint party with his little friend, Lena. Lena and Matty are just two weeks apart so it was a treat to be able to celebrate their birthdays together this year! The theme of the party was Toy Story!
For the Toy Story party, I made a variety of fun, themed desserts including these super cute Alien Cupcakes! I had seen a variety of different ways to make these Alien cupcakes all over the internet, but since I’m in Germany I knew my supplies would be limited.
For the ears and antennae, I used green gummies. Luckily, Germans love their gummies so I was able to find those easily out on the economy. I used green gummy rope for the antennae and cut flat rectangle gummies into triangles for the ears.
The eyes are made from Wilton candy eyes. If you can’t find these in your local craft store, you could just pipe white dollops of frosting and add a touch of black for the pupils. Or maybe you could find white candies to use. The mouth is made with a tube of black decorating gel. Easy peasy!
One of the best things about making a cupcake like this is that when YOU make them at home, they don’t have to be exactly like mine. Use what supplies you have at your disposal. Use what your grocery store carries. Improvise. It’s not about taking exactly what I did and recreating it, it’s about making the cupcakes your own with the supplies you have!
To be honest… that’s the most fun part for me! Figuring out how I can take the inspiration I got from someone else’s creation and turn it into my own! I hope that these Alien Cupcakes can do that for you!
Here’s more from the Toy Story Party:
- Sheriff Woody’s Star Cookies
- Jessie’s Hat Cookies
- Sunnyside Toy Box Centerpiece
- Etch-a-Sketch food signs
And because it wouldn’t be a party if my friends didn’t get a little crazy… here’s Lena’s Mom, Mareile, being silly in her Alien shirt with the Alien cupcakes!!
- i am baker's recipe for The Perfect White Cake - CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE
- Strawberry jam
- Vanilla Buttercream - CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE
- Green gel food coloring
- Green gummy rope
- Green flat gummy squares
- Black decorating gel (in a tube)
- Candy eyes (I used Wilton brand)
- Prepare the batter as i am baker describes in the recipe link above.
- Line cupcake pans with green liners and fill 2/3 with batter.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, core the center of each cupcake out and fill with strawberry jam.
- Prepare the frosting as directed in the link above.
- Tint the frosting green using the gel food coloring.
- Frost the top of each cupcake with the green frosting making sure to create a flat surface on the top.
- Place three candy eyes in the center of the cupcake. Squeeze a circle or squiggly line of black decorating gel under the eyes for the mouth.
- Cut the square gummies into triangles and place one above the eyes on the edge of the cupcake. One triangle on each side for the ears.
- Cut a 1/2 in piece of gummy rope and place it in the top, center of the cupcake.
To make things even simpler, use store bought cake mix for the cupcakes and use pre-made frosting to decorate. Focus on the Alien head and decorating!
Please PIN this image to save these party ideas for later or to share with your friends! THANK YOU!