Rich dark chocolate cupcakes made into four very different, extremely delectable, incredibly delicious candy bar-inspired cupcakes!
This past weekend I went to a BBQ with some soldiers & families from my husband’s platoon… and of course, Dave asked me to make cupcakes. I kept asking and asking what flavors he wanted and he couldn’t decide. Apparently, I couldn’t decide either since I made candy bar cupcakes – 4 ways!
I used my favorite chocolate cake base and topped each one (and even filled a couple) with different flavors all inspired for 4 different candy bars. Well, I guess they all aren’t technically candy bars, but you get what I mean.
Black & White Cupcakes – dark chocolate cake topped with white chocolate frosting and garnished with chunks of dark and white chocolate.
Rolo Cupcakes – dark chocolate cake filled with chopped Rolos topped with caramel frosting and garnished with a Rolo.
Reese’s Cupcakes – dark chocolate cake topped with whipped peanut butter buttercream garnished with chocolate jimmies and a mini Reese’s peanut butter cup cupcake.
After Eight Cupcakes – dark chocolate cake filled with mint chocolate chips topped with mint chocolate chip buttercream and an After Eight Mint.
Woah. That’s a lot of cupcakes.
I know… you may not have everything to make these cupcakes on hand… and if you were to buy all the candy needed to put these together it’d break the bank. No worries though… I’ve broken down the recipe so that you can make them 1 dozen at a time!
So at the BBQ – the cupcakes were a HUGE hit! Everyone loved them… from the soldiers to the kids… my cupcakes put a smile on all faces!
- Use this Dark Chocolate Cupcakes recipe. It makes 2 dozen cupcakes, so double it if you're making all 4 cupcakes or cut it in half if you're only making 1 dozen.
- ROLO: 18 Rolo candies, quartered
- AFTER EIGHT: mint chocolate chips
- Use HALF of this Perfect Peanut Butter Buttercream recipe.
- 12 Reese's mini peanut butter cups, unwrapped for garnish
- chocolate jimmies, for garnish
- chocolate chips, for garnish
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 1lb powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 12 Rolo candies for garnish
- Use HALF of this White Chocolate Frosting recipe.
- dark (at least 75% cocoa) & white chocolate chunks for garnish (I used Lindt chocolate bars)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1lb powdered sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1tsp mint extract
- pinch of salt
- ¼ mint chocolate chips, chopped
- 12 After Eight mints for garnish
- Prepare cupcakes as directed in recipe above.
- FOR THE ROLO CUPCAKES: Chop up 2 Rolos and place into each cup of batter before baking.
- FOR THE AFTER EIGHT: Place 8-10 mint chocolate chips into the cups of batter before baking, stir gently with a toothpick.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting & decorating.
- Prepare buttercream as directed in recipe above.
- Using a Wilton 1M decorating tip, pipe a swirl of frosting onto each mini Reese's pb cup. Top with a chocolate chip.
- Pipe swirls of frosting using the 1M tip onto each cupcake. Sprinkle chocolate jimmies on top and garnish with a mini Reese's pb cup.
- In a medium, heavy sauce pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the sugar. cream and salt and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, pour in cooled caramel mixture. Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing together on low. Mixture will be very thick.
- Add up to 2Tbsp heavy cream to loosen the frosting.
- Using a large round tip, frost a swirl, dollop of frosting onto the center each cupcake. Tap the cupcake on the counter so that the frosting spreads to the sides.
- Garnish with a Rolo candy cut in half.
- Prepare the frosting as directed in the recipe above.
- Using a Wilton 1M piping tip, frost swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Garnish with chunks of white & dark chocolate.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar, one cup at a time and mix until combined.
- Add the salt, mint extract and 2Tbsp of heavy cream. Mix until smooth. Add remaining 2Tbsp of heavy cream until you reach your desired consistency.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add the chopped mint chocoalte chips and mix until incorporated.
- Using a Wilton 1M decorating tip, pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake. Garnish with an After Eight mint.