Buckeye Brownies – deep, dark, chocolate fudgey brownies topped with a peanut butter cream and a layer of dark chocolate ganache. Perfect to cure the blues… the pre-deployment blues.
Just a few weeks until my husband goes away for work for a very long time. Oooohh man… and boy am I’m feeling the pre-deployment funk. It’s that depression, that *deep sigh*, that push-all-your-emotions-down-because-I-don’t-want-to-be-reminded-he’s-leaving funk I go into before my husband deploys that has my horomones going crazy.
Building memories. Preparing myself that they could be our last.
It’s not fun. It’s emotional… and I hate every minute of it.
So… I’m craving food. Baked food. Something, anything that will help me forget for just a few minutes what my future holds for me. Into the kitchen I went tonight… tissue in hand, tears down my cheek… ready to bake. I’ve said it before… and today, I say it again.
Baking. Is. My. Therapy.
Dark chocolate, fudgy, moist brownies topped with a peanut butter cream and dark chocolate ganache. Seriously, if this doesn’t make me feel better… at least for the 20 minutes it’ll take me to eat it. I’m not sure anything I bake ever will.
A big glass of milk is definitely needed with these buckeye brownies. And my fat pants.
And my soldier.
- 1 cup butter
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 10oz bag Hershey's Mini Kisses
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 300g Lindt 50% Chocolate (3 100g bars), chopped
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter, heaping
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper (at least ½in over the edges) and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Mix in the cocoa powder, espresso powder and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat to cool for 5 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars... break up all the clumps. Pour in the chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Mix well after each addition.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together and fold into the wet mixture.
- Fold in the Mini Kisses.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread smooth.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes or until the top cracks and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and peanut butter until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and salt and mix until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl down.
- Add the heavy cream and mix until smooth.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Spread peanut butter filling evenly over cooled brownie.
- In a medium pot, melt together the chopped chocolate and peanut butter over medium-low heat. Stir gently until smooth and all the chocolate has melted.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour gently over the peanut butter layer. Gently tilt the pan left/right up/down until the chocolate is spread evenly.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, cut into 3in squares.