The winds are blowing, the leaves are rustling around the streets and the rain is falling from the grey skies. Fall is upon us here in Bavaria!
And what is better for Fall than another pumpkin recipe! This cupcake is a one bowl batter that tastes just like pumpkin pie! Because I wanted to decorate these with owls, I had to top them with a chocolate frosting. Instead of my favorite chocolate fudge frosting that calls for melted butter and baking chocolate, I used a basic chocolate buttercream which used cocoa powder. I needed something that I could easily pipe and spread and my chocolate fudge recipe can get a bit thick. This buttercream worked perfectly!
I know these cute owls on top have been floating around the internet, but I just had to give them a try! Especially since I kind of have this fascination with owls. (Our son Matthew, now 7 months old, well his baby theme is owls!) Below the recipe, you’ll find a full tutorial on how I made them!
Owl Cupcake Tutorial
- 1 package OREO cookies
- 1 box Junior Mints candy
- 1 box Reese’s Pieces candy
- Frosting (recipe above)
- Spatula or knife
- Prepare the OREO cookies by separating one cookie layer from the cream center, leaving the center in tact.
- Pipe a drop of frosting onto each cream center and place a Junior Mint candy on top. This will create the eyes for the owl.
- Separate out the orange Reese’s Pieces candies and set aside.
- Using the spatula or knife, frost cupcake creating a flat surface. At the top of the cupcake, make two little points with the frosting for the owl ears.
- Place two eyes on the cupcake, making sure to leave room for the beak and not to cover the ears.
- Place an orange candy under and between the eyes for the beak.