I don’t know how long it’s been since I’ve actually baked a cupcake. Weeks… probably more like months. I’ve baked cookies, scones and crescent rolls, but no cupcakes! Crazy, huh? Cause this is supposed to be a cupcake blog, right?
Hmmm… So yeah. I made cupcakes today. And, I didn’t start back into baking cupcakes slowly. No, I didn’t ease into things. I went BIG!
Chocolate cupcake + Cookie Dough = HOLY GOODNESS!!!
Baked inside this cupcake is a chocolate chip cookie dough ball. Yah, you read me right. Cookie Dough. The best thing that God ever created inside this cupcake.
And to make things even better…. the frosting. Cookie Dough. Both my hubby and my neighbor told me I needed to just make this frosting. A big giant bowl of it so they could take a spoon and scoop it out and shove it in their mouth. It’s that good.
Personally, I found the bottom of the cupcake to be the best. But hey, everyone has their preferences.
- ¾ cup flour
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional)
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1¾ cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1½ Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- additional mini chocolate chips
- 12 mini chocolate chip cookies (I used Chips Ahoy)
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, sugars, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients and the chocolate chips until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes or until firm.
- Scoop out dough into 12 balls. Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees. Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add the water, oil, egg and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner ½-2/3 full. NOTE: You may have extra batter… no worries, make extra cupcakes!
- Gently press a cookie dough ball into the center of each cupcake, only submerging the ball ½ way.
- Bake the cupcakes for 19-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake portion of the cupcake (not tested through the center where the dough is), comes out fairly dry. Chunks/pieces of cake are okay, just not moist batter.
- Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until smooth and creamy.
- Add the flour, milk and vanilla and beat on high until well combined.
- Pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top and garnish with a mini chocolate chip cookie.