My favorite chocolate cupcakes with whipped milk chocolate ganache.
Lately, I’ve acquired a bit of a YouTube obsession. I watch cooking and baking videos all the time. I was watching My Cupcake Addiction and realized that I have been not making ganache correctly. Well, making ganache is the easiest thing in the world, it is two ingredients – chocolate and cream. The part that I was getting wrong was not letting it stand to firm up. I tried making whipped ganache before and it wasn’t firm enough to pipe. After watching a video about ganache, I realized that my problem was that I didn’t let it firm up again after I whipped it.
Now that I’ve figured it out, I might not ever need to make another frosting. It is light and fluffy, and so chocolatey. And you can use whatever kind of chocolate you like, dark or white also work here. If you would like a smoother frosting, you can skip the whipping step and just spread the thickened ganache over your cupcakes.
These cupcakes are so simple to make and are so elegant. I found these chocolate straws in a gourmet shop, they are so pretty and are the perfect finishing touch to these cupcakes.
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1 small box chocolate instant pudding mix
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Whipped Milk Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 (12-oz) bag milk chocolate chips
- 6 oz. heavy cream
- chocolate straws (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two muffin tins with 18 paper liners.
- Add cake mix ingredients to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat well, about 3 minutes, scrapping the bowl occasionally.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin tin. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- To make the frosting: add chocolate chips and cream to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 one minute. Stir. Cook for another minute. Stir until completely smooth. (Microwave times vary, repeat in 20-30 intervals if needed to completely melt the chips.)
- Press plastic wrap onto the surfact of the chocolate. Let stand for 1-2 hours to thicken, Add chocolate mixture to an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until whipped, about 3-4 minutes. Cover again and let firm up, about an hour. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe onto cupcakes and add chocolate straws for decoration.