Delicious vanilla cake topped with dark chocolate frosting baked in quatrefoil liners make these Black and White Cupcakes perfect for any themed party, birthday or occasion!
Sometimes, the simplest of things inspires me to bake. For these cupcakes the inspiration came from the cupcake liners. These quatrefoil black and white cupcake liners from quatrefoil liners and are my new favorite pattern!
What makes the liners from STB so wonderful is that they are grease-proof! What does that mean? Shannon, my friend & owner of STB, has done a lot of research & product testing to find the best paper to bake cupcakes in. This paper not only holds it’s shape but it keeps it’s bright, vibrant color! No more buying beautiful liners and having them destroyed during the baking process!
quatrefoil liners liners grease-proof technology produce great looking cupcakes, every time!
Now, you may be wondering if this is a sponsored post since I’m going on and on and on about these STB liners. No.. it’s not. I just really love these liners. I’ve been a fan of grease-proof liners for a while now. You may remember me using Sutton Gourmet Paper grease-proof liners a few years ago. They are just as amazing, but don’t come in quite as many colors or designs. That’s why I love quatrefoil liners!
With so many colors and patters to choose from, quatrefoil liners makes it easy to be inspired just from their liners! And… this is how the Black & White Cupcake was born! Shannon sent me a pack of their newest quatrefoil liners and I was instantly drawn to the simplicity of these liners. Two contrasting colors coming together beautifully… I knew I had to make a cupcake to reflect that.
Vanilla cake topped with dark chocolate frosting was the perfect choice for these Black and White Cupcakes. Adorning the frosting with white sugar pearls gave just the right touch to really send them over the edge! So simple, so beautiful… and perfectly paired with the black and white quatrefoil liners from quatrefoil liners!
- 225g vanilla sugar (1 cup)
- 175g cake flour, sifted (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
Dark Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (I used Crisco)
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Line cupcake tins with grease-proof liners. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the vanilla sugar, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the soft butter and mix on medium speed for about 3 minutes. The end result of this will be a coarse meal texture.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract. Add this to the flour mixture and mix until smooth. Scrape the bowl to ensure everything is incorporated. NOTE: The mixture will be very thick at this point.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour in the milk and mix until incorporated. Use a rubber spatula to fold the batter a few times and press out any lumps in the batter. NOTE: Be gentle during this process, you don't want to overwork the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners just over 1/2 full - Do not overfill!
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and shortening until smooth.
- Add half the powdered sugar, espresso powder and cocoa powder and mix until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, pour in all of the heavy cream and vanilla. Turn mixer speed up to medium and mix until completely incorporated.
- Mix in the remaining powdered sugar. Scrape the bowl down to ensure everything is incorporated.
- Mix on high for 30 seconds.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 1M tip with frosting and pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake. Garnish with white sugar pearls.
- Store up to 4 days in an air tight container.