Thin Mint Cupcakes

| buttercream, buttercream, chocolate, chocolate cupcakes, cookie cupcakes, cookie cupcakes, cream cheese, cupcake recipes, filled cupcakes, frosting and icing, ganache, ganache, girl scout cookie cupcakes, girl scout cookie desserts, Madagascar vanilla beans, mint cupcakes, peppermint, peppermint and mint, recipes, top posts sidebar, whipped cream, whipping cream

It’s totally that time of year… GIRL SCOUT COOKIE TIME!

I can’t resist.  I bought 10 boxes.  Yes.  You read that correctly.  10 boxes.

2 to eat (with in the first 24  hours).

8 to bake with.

Yeah… you read that correctly.  8 boxes to bake with.

Last year I made Samoa Cupcakes and Tagalong Brownies.  This year… I started with Thin Mint Cupcakes.  These cupcakes are a super decadent chocolate cake filled with a whipped chocolate ganache topped with a mint buttercream.  Serious amounts of NOM NOM NOM.

PS…. This is my new favorite chocolate cake recipe.  I know it’s got beer in it… but I’m totally using it for every chocolate cake I make from now on!!

Thin Mint Cupcakes | JavaCupcake.com

Chocolate Stout Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes

1 bottle of Guinness Stout Beer
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp espresso powder
1 tsp vanilla

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

2 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.  Line cupcake pans with liners.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
  3. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter on medium-high heat.  Add the vanilla beer, whisk together and heat until it just begins to simmer.  Whisk in the cocoa powder and espresso powder and heat until it just begins to bubble up.  DO NOT BOIL.  Remove from heat and whisk until smooth.   Cool slightly.
  4. In the meantime, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sour cream.  Slowly pour in the slightly cooled chocolate mixture. NOTE:  DO THIS SLOW! You don’t want to cook the eggs, so start pouring a very small amount of the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture… DO NOT DUMP IT IN ALL AT ONCE.
  5. In three parts, add the flour mixture to the chocolate/egg mixture.  Whisk until smooth.  Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, making sure everything is incorporated.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter.
  7. Bake 18-20 minutes, rotating pan after 12 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  8. Cool in pan for 3-4 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before filling and frosting.

Thin Mint Cupcakes | JavaCupcake.com

Whipped Chocolate Ganache

4 oz dark chocolate, chopped

1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp corn syrup

1 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Place the chopped chocolate in a medium glass bowl.
  2. In a small sauce pan, heat the heavy cream and corn syrup just until it bubbles.
  3. Pour heavy cream over chocolate and stir until smooth.  If the chocolate doesn’t melt all the way, place the bowl over a double boiler and continue to stir until smooth.
  4. Mix in the butter and extract.
  5. Allow ganache to cool to room temperature.
  6. Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the cooled ganache until fluffy.  Don’t over mix or it will get grainy.

Vanilla Bean Peppermint Buttercream

12 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
4 tbsp cream cheese, room temperature
2 lbs powdered sugar
1/2 cup Madagascar Vanilla Bean Cream
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
pinch of salt
Wilton Green Food Gel

1.  Cream together the butter and cream cheese.
  2. Add half the powdered sugar and mix on high until incorporated and smooth.
  3. Beat in half the vanilla bean cream until smooth.  Scrape the sides of the bowl, making sure all the sugar is combined.
  4. Add the remaining sugar and the peppermint extract.
  5. Mix in the food gel until it’s the color you desire.
  6. Add remaining vanilla bean cream until you get the consistency you want.  Mix on high 3-4 minutes until smooth and fluffy.

Thin Mint Cupcakes | JavaCupcake.com

To Assemble Cupcakes:

Thin Mint Cookies
Peppermint Buttercream
Chocolate Shavings
Piping bag & large round tip
Apple corer

1. Core each cupcake using the apple corer.
  2. Fill each cupcake with whipped ganache.  (I filled a disposable piping bag, cut off the top and filled each one with that.)
  3. Using a large round tip and a piping  bag, pipe a round swirl of buttercream on to each cupcake.
  4. Top with a Thin Mint cookie and chocolate shavings.
  5. EAT! ENJOY!

Thin Mint Cupcakes | JavaCupcake.com

And this is what you do when you have left over peppermint buttercream.  NOM NOM NOM

30 Comments on Thin Mint Cupcakes

1. Sarah
    January 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm (3 years ago)

These are my favorite cookies, I can only imagine how good the cupcakes are.

January 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm (3 years ago)

This is my favorite cupcake of 2012!!!!!

2. Alyssa
    February 1, 2012 at 5:43 pm (3 years ago)

These look delicious! Can you recommend an easy substitution for the Madagascar Vanilla Butter Cream?

February 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm (3 years ago)

You can use any cream/milk in it’s place. I find that I like the texture and taste using a heavy whipping cream over a low-fat/skim milk. But, whatever is in your fridge is fine too. If you have vanilla beans… bring your milk/cream to a boil in a small pan with a vanilla bean then let it cool before adding it to your buttercream. That vanilla will add TONS of flavor! :)

3. Samantha
    February 4, 2012 at 5:22 pm (3 years ago)

Oh wow! I am going to try to make these! I’ve been looking for recipe that involves chocolate and mint!

4. MrsAB
    February 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm (3 years ago)

These look delicious! I can’t wait to try them. As for the vanilla beans, I was wondering if you have ever used vanilla bean paste. Also, if you have does it yield the same taste?

February 23, 2012 at 8:31 am (3 years ago)

I’ve never used the paste before because I’ve always bought fresh beans. Paste is just the beans anyways… so it should yield the same results! :) Happy Baking!

5. kaylethewhale
    March 4, 2012 at 2:20 am (3 years ago)

these look delish! would making these cupcakes without the beer ruin the recipe?

March 4, 2012 at 9:21 am (3 years ago)

With this recipe, yes… the beer is an important part of the cake! I’d try a different cake recipe if you don’t want the beer in it. Honestly though, you don’t taste the beer… it really just enhances the overall flavor of the cake! :)

6. BrynnH
    March 13, 2012 at 6:35 am (3 years ago)

I can’t wait to make these this weekend for St. Patrick’s Day! Can you tell me what size for the bottle of Guinness? Thanks!

7. Jamie Harris
    March 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm (3 years ago)

I have been looking for a moist and delicious chocolate cupcake recipe for about a year now. They were always dry and not flavorful, until i came across this recipe. Oh My Goodness! This is is the best chocolate cupcake ive ever had. WAY better than a box. Thank you so much for
    posting this recipe!!

March 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm (3 years ago)

I know, right. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this chocolate cupcake recipe!!!!!

8. Sana
    April 13, 2012 at 4:50 am (3 years ago)

Can you tell me what size for the bottle of Guinness? Thanks!

April 13, 2012 at 11:31 am (3 years ago)

I don’t know how many oz it is. There is only one size of that kind though. It’s the dark black bottle.

• Abbie
        July 23, 2014 at 1:04 am (4 months ago)

There are actually several sizes available in both bottles and cans; I found 11.2, 12, 14.9, 16 and 22. My guess is, it’s the 12 oz size.

9. Charlie
    April 15, 2012 at 8:59 pm (3 years ago)

Does it have to be Guinness?

April 15, 2012 at 9:03 pm (3 years ago)

You don’t have to use Guinness…. but honestly, it pairs so well with this cupcake. If you wanted to use another brand… I’d stick with using a similar stout beer.

10. Taylor
    April 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve seen a lot of other thin mint cupcake recipes that use mint extract instead of peppermint. What’s the difference between the two and could your recipe use mint extract rather than peppermint? My mom is worried they won’t be “minty” enough.

April 17, 2012 at 7:55 am (3 years ago)

If you only have mint extract, that will be fine too. I just enjoy the flavor of peppermint extract more. And yes…. they will be plenty minty. The extract goes a long way! ENJOY!

11. Amber
    July 11, 2012 at 8:39 am (2 years ago)

just found your blog and I am totally in LOVE!! Thank you sooooo much for sharing I cant wait to try this recipe tonight!Just wondering do you think you can use the same recipe and make a cake? Thanks!

July 12, 2012 at 11:13 am (2 years ago)

Yes, absolutely. Just increase the baking time! :)

12. Shelby Joseph
    August 31, 2012 at 1:17 am (2 years ago)

I absolutely love the idea of this cake. I am making cupcakes for a friends birthday, and she loves mint chocolate. How do you think these would be if i put a thin mint cookie in the bottom of the tin before baking? I’ve seen the idea of the cookie at the bottom with an oreo, and just wanted some suggestions! Thanks!

• Betsy ~ @JavaCupcake
      August 31, 2012 at 9:29 am (2 years ago)

I think that’d be a GREAT idea!!! Would just add another minty, chocolaty dimension to the cupcake! YUM!!! PLEASE, let me know how they turn out!! xoxo
      Betsy

13. Martha Wald
    March 7, 2013 at 4:04 am (2 years ago)

Love this recipe! Bought 5 more boxes todsy!

14. Danielle
    July 12, 2014 at 5:21 pm (4 months ago)

These look delicious! I’m wondering if these cupcakes should be refrigerated overnight due to the cream in the frosting or if they can be stored in a container at room temp to be served next day? Thanks!

July 13, 2014 at 1:23 pm (4 months ago)

No need to chill! Room temperature is perfectly okay if you’ll be serving the next day!

• Abbie
      July 23, 2014 at 1:08 am (4 months ago)

Ours were fine 2 days later; just be sure to cover the entire top of each cupcake, to keep them from drying out…not sure that would be possible with this recipe, though…SUPER-MOIST chocolate cake…BEST EVER!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Thin Mint Cupcakes

1. […] Thin Mint Cupcakes From Java Cupcake […]

2. […] chocolate cake and adapted it to include the Frango Mint Chocolates! YUM!  Since I’ve done a chocolate mint cupcake before that was topped with a green mint buttercream, I wanted to do something different with these and top them with a chocolate frosting that had more […]