I had a potluck 2 weeks ago. It’s theme is International Food. So yeah. I’m in Germany… which means technically American cuisine would be considered “international”, right? HAHA
So brownies it is. BUT! Not your traditional brownie… it’s a cookies n’ creme brownie! This delicious thing has oreos baked inside of the brownie as well as a creamy oreo buttercream slathered on top.
It’s a pretty easy recipe too, only took me about 10 minutes to whip up and get in oven… then another few minutes to beat up the frosting, spread and cut!
If the soldiers at work don’t love these at the potluck… well shoot. hahaha!
Cookies ‘n Creme Brownies
Makes 16 brownies (depending on how you cut it)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 oz (3 squares) unsweetened bakers chocolate, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 Oreo cookies, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Great 9×15 in dark pan with shortening or butter.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and eggs.
- While that is creaming, melt the chocolate and set aside to cool for 2 minutes.
- Add the slightly cooled chocolate to the butter mixture, scrape the sides of the bowl and mix until combined.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour and salt.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture and mix only until just combined.
- Remove bowl from mixer, scrape off paddle attachment and sides of the bowl. Fold in the Oreo cookies and make sure the batter is smooth and combined. This should take about 7-8 strokes.
- Spread batter evenly into the pan using an offset spatula.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or just until barely done. Do not over bake!
- Cool completely on a wire rack. (If you’re in a hurry like I was, allow brownies to cool for 10 minutes in front of an open window, then remove them from the pan to cool more on the wire rack by the window!)
- Frost with Oreo buttercream then cut into squares!
- Eat…. nom nom nom! Enjoy!!!
Recipe adapted from: How Sweet It Is
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 lb powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
8-10 Oreo cookies, in chunky pieces
- Cream together the butter, sugar and salt – about 3-4 minutes.
- Add half the cream and beat until smooth.
- Mix in the Oreos and beat until they are broken up. You want a few chunks in the frosting, so don’t mix too long.
- Beat in the the remaining cream until you get your desired consistency.
- NOTE: This frosting is VERY SWEET. You can cut back on the sugar, oreos or add a pinch more salt to change the flavor. Play around with it until you get it the right sweetness.