Now, there’s no getting around prepping the apples in butter, sugar and spices. That’s just a MUST for these cupcakes, especially if you want them filled. If you wanted to skip the filling step, you could add the cooked apples to your batter before baking and omit the raw apples from the batter. You’d have swirls of cinnamon and apple throughout the cupcake. YUM!
But, I wanted filled cupcakes this time so I chopped up half a large apple and put that in the batter. I’ll fill the cupcakes when they’re cool with the cooked apple mixture.
I topped these cupcakes with an apple, cinnamon and caramel buttercream… it took has chunks of apples running through it. Super good… super sweet!
Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk (you could use apple juice too)
1/2 cup chopped apples
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line your cupcake pan with liners.
- Cream together the butter and sugars.
- One at a time, mix in the eggs. Add the vanilla then beat on high for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Sift into the batter the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix by hand about 5-6 strokes.
- Add the milk and mix only until all the flour and milk are incorporated.
- Gently fold in the apples. Do not over mix!
- Bake for 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave in pan for 3-4 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
1 large apple, chopped
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk mixed with 1 heaping tbsp corn starch
- In a medium pan, melt the butter on medium-high heat.
- Add the apples, sugars and vanilla and stir. Cook until bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Add the milk + cornstarch mixture and bring to a bubble. Cook for 1-2 minutes until thickens.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir for about 1 minute.
- Set aside to cool.
- Fill cupcakes and reserve remaining apple mixture for buttercream.
- Cream together the butter and shortening.
- Add about 1/2 the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add 1-2 tbsp cream and mix until combined.
- Add all of the remaining apple mixture, cinnamon and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add enough cream until you get the consistency you desire.
- Scrape sides of bowl and mix on high for 1 minute.
- Frost cupcakes and drizzle your favorite caramel sauce over frosting.
- Core the center of your cupcakes out.
- Fill with apple filling.
- Top with apple cinnamon buttercream.
- Drizzle with your favorite caramel syrup.