These Cinnamon Eggnog & Bourbon cupcake are one of a kind! Cinnamon, eggnog and bourbon cake topped with a spice bourbon frosting… WOWEEE!
Our military commissary has stocked three flavors of eggnog right now. Pumpkin, Cinnamon and Gingerbread. The pumpkin tasted just like pumpkin pie, but I knew I didn’t want to bake with it. I’m kinda over pumpkin, ya know? And then I sipped on the cinnamon nog…. and HOLY COW!
I’m not gonna lie. I’m not a fan of the eggnog. But the cinnamon eggnog was SO GOOD! I might even drink an entire quart of it! YUM!
So, then my brain got to churnin… eggnog cupcakes. Yah, that’s typical. But Cinnamon Eggnog cupcakes? And what goes better with eggnog than a little bourbon? So uhm, yeah. Cinnamon Eggnog & Bourbon cupcakes were born!
Don’t worry, these won’t get you drunk… just make you happy!
PS… the liners I used for these cupcakes are probably one of my most favorite liners EVER! They come from my friend, Kellie Sutton of Sutton Gourmet Paper. The thing that makes these liners so amazing is that they keep their color, texture and shape when baking. They DO NOT soak the batter or oils into the liners like others do. So every time you bake with Kellie’s liners, you get a perfectly beautifully wrapped cupcake!
Cinnamon Eggnog & Bourbon Cupcakes
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup bourbon whiskey (I used Seven Oaks American Straight Bourbon Whiskey)
- 1 1/4 cup cinnamon eggnog
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
Spiced Bourbon Buttercream
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 lb + 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp bourbon whiskey (I used the same bourbon as in the cupcakes above)
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tbsp (more or less) cinnamon eggnog
- 1/8 tsp salt
- nutmeg - garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the bourbon, eggnog, oil, vinegar, vanilla and sugar on medium speed until smooth (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the flour and mix on low speed just until all the flour is wet.
- Stop the mixer, scrape the sides with a spatula and make sure all the flour is incorporated. Do not over mix. This step should only take 2-3 strokes.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 3-4 minutes until removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- One half cup at a time, add half the powdered sugar and beat until smooth between each addition.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the whiskey, beat until combined.
- Sprinkle in the cinnamon and mix until incorporated.
- One half cup at a time, add the remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth between each addition.
- Add the eggnog until you get the consistency you desire. You may want more or less of the eggnog. Mix in the salt and beat until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Frost each cupcake and sprinkle with nutmeg to garnish.