Pillowy soft cookies rolled in colorful sugar with silky smooth chocolate truffle centers make these Sugar Cookie Chocolate Thumbprints one of the most delicious cookies I’ve ever made!
After moving back to the USA, I was the most excited to have access again to as many sprinkles, sugar crystals and decorating supplies as I could get my hands on! One of the first things I purchased were peach and teal sugar crystals from a local cake supply store. As soon as I saw them on the shelf I was inspired to create something based on them!
Originally, I thought I would make a blossom type cookie with a Hershey’s Kiss in the center standing tall. But once I started putting these cookies together I realized that the Kiss I chose was so soft in the center that it melted into a pool of chocolate creating a thumbprint instead of a blossom.
The longer these cookies stayed warm the more melty the Hershey’s Valentine’s Kisses in Chocolate Truffle got! Once the cookies and the Kisses cooled the centers were firm but soft enough to bite through.
The combination of soft cookie, crunchy sugar outside and smooth chocolate center truly make these Sugar Cookie Chocolate Thumbprints one of my most favorite cookies!
Did you get the recipe for Donut Sugar Cookies yet? I made them the same weekend I made these sugar cookies!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- pink & blue sugar crystals
- 1 bag Hershey's Valentine's Kisses in Chocolate Truffle
- OXO Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the butter and shortening together until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add the sugar and beat on high until incorporated.
- One at a time, add the eggs and beat well after each addition. Mix on high for 1 minute until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add this mixture to the butter and sugar and mix until just combined.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate 2 hours or over night.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 F degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using the OXO scoop, scoop out a level ball of dough. Form a ball in your hand then gently press it flat. This dough does not spread very much, so you want to create the size and shape of cookie you want with this process.
- Roll the disc in pink or blue sugar crystals until covered then place it on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the bottom edges begin to brown. Do not overbake!
- IMMEDIATELY press a chocolate truffle into the center of each kiss while they are still on the baking sheet and hot. You'll need the heat from the sheet and the pan to melt the truffle into a delicious pool of chocolate. Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely before storing or stacking in an air tight bakery box for storage.