My kids love vegetables. Seriously, my 3 year old son Matthew would eat baby cucumbers every day for his afternoon snack if I let him. Which, really isn’t a bad thing I just don’t grow cucumbers in my yard and he eats them so fast I run out! But, I do keep a variety of fresh veggies in the fridge stocked and both of my kids have grown up loving their fresh flavors.
This Cucumber Tomato Salad combines three distinct vegetable flavors into one great side dish. I’m not a huge fan of salad dressings so this salad is dressed simply with olive oil, a splash of red wine vinegar and a healthy seasoning of salt and pepper.
My husband and kids gobbled it up at dinner and we enjoyed the rest at lunch the next day. This salad is perfect because it can go with almost any summer meal. Whether you’re hosting a BBQ and need to bring a side or you’re making dinner for your family, it’s the perfect addition to any meal.
How beautiful does the Cucumber Tomato Salad look next to the hot dog and German potato salad? It’s perfect really.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 large cucumber, halved long way then sliced into 1/3 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slashes of red wine vinegar
- salt/pepper to taste
- Clean, prep and slice each vegetable and place in a large bowl. Toss together gently.
- Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the top. Season with salt/pepper to taste. Toss together until completely coated.
- Serve immediately or chill until ready. Use within 2 days.
Jenny B @ Honey and Birch
Thursday 30th of July 2015
It's great that your kids love veggies!! Sounds like they loved this salad! :)
Julie is Hostess At Heart
Wednesday 29th of July 2015
Simple and beautiful! I'd gobble it up too!