I’ve been trying to recreate the recipe my mother used on all her chocolate cakes. It was a rich, thick chocolate fudge frosting that firmed up just a bit after it had a chance to set up on the cake. I remember she used melted chocolate and powdered sugar, but I never wrote down the measurements.
This recipe comes pretty close. It’s thick, creamy and full of chocolate flavor.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Makes enough to frost 12 Cupcakes
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
4 1oz squares baking chocolate
1 lb sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup whipping cream
- Sift sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment.
- In a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate together. Stir in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour the chocolate into the powdered sugar. The frosting will be very thick and hard to mix.
- Add the whipping cream and beat until smooth. You may not need all the whipping cream, so add it slowly.
- As the frosting cools it will thicken.