Your search is over. You don’t have to look on Pinterest or Google anymore… because yes, you’ve finally found it. The only chocolate Cupcake recipe you’ll ever need!
You might be thinking that is an awfully bold statement. But let me assure you… this recipe isn’t all talk… it’s ALL FLAVOR! Rich chocolate cake highlighted by the subtle undertones of espresso topped with the lightest, fluffiest chocolate buttercream you’ll ever taste.
You’ll never need another chocolate cake recipe ever again… because trust me… this one is not only simple to make, but out of this world delicious!
If you can’t take my word for it… ask Lucy. She helped decorate these cupcakes and she loved them! (PS… Her Mommy and baby sister loved them too!)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 Tbsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Whipped Chocolate Buttercream
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1lb powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- pinch of salt
- rainbow nonpareils- for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the coffee, espresso powder, cocoa powder, and vanilla and whisk until combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the eggs. SLOWLY add a few tablespoons of the chocolate mixture to the sour cream and eggs. Whisk to combine. In a slow stream, whisk in the remaining chocolate mixture until combined completely.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in wet. Using a whisk, stir until no more lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Whipped Chocolate Buttercream.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, whip the butter until smooth.
- Add the dark chocolate cocoa powder and mix on medium-high until combined.
- Add the sugar and salt and mix until incorporated. The frosting will be very thick.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream and mix until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix again for 20 seconds.
- Beat on high for 2-3 minutes, scrape the sides of the bowl and beat again for 1 more minute.
- Using a Wilton 1M tip on a piping bag, pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Top with rainbow nonpareils for garnish.
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0g