Seriously, who doesn’t love a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? I grew up eating them for lunch almost everyday day. If it wasn’t for lunch, it was a snack. And although as an adult, I don’t each them as often I did as a kid, they are still a staple in my daughter’s life.
This cupcake is a really moist cupcake filled with my favorite raspberry jam. The frosting is a twist on a classic peanut butter frosting because it has a bit of cocoa powder in it too. I made them for a 4th of July party and they were a HUGE it!
Peanut butter Cupcakes
Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
¼ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
½ cup creamy peanut butter
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup sour cream
½ cup milk
1/3 cup hot water
½ cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix on high 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Mix together the sour cream and milk.
- Add the flour and sour cream/milk, alternating, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix only until incorporated.
- Add the hot water and stir until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minute or until a toothpic comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove to wire wrack to cool completely.
- Core the center of the cupcakes and fill with raspberry jam.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup peanut butter
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 lb (3-4 cups) powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup whipping cream
- Cream together the peanut butter and butter.
- Sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- One cup at a time, add the sugar mixture and mix until creamy.
- Add the vanilla and just enough cream until you reach you desired consistency.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix on high for 30 seconds.