These Chocolate Chip Mint Cupcakes are so simple to make yet are packed full of flavor with a moist chocolate cake topped with a whipped mint buttercream. So good!
You may remember the Mint Chocolate Chip Cake I made for my friend Chasity’s birthday back in 2013. Layers of chocolate cake filled and covered in chocolate chip mint buttercream and covered in chocolate ganache. It was one of Chasity’s favorite flavor combinations and was SO GOOD.
When Chasity left Germany in July, I told her I’d bake for her one last time. She chose the mint chocolate chip cake and s’mores cupcakes. Since I wasn’t trying to make that giant layer cake again, I decided to turn the cake into cupcakes!
(PS… You need to see the S’mores Cupcakes I made here. Chocolate cake filled with graham cracker and topped with marshmallow frosting. I DIE!!)
These Chocolate Chip Mint Cupcakes are super easy to make and are completely worth the effort. The cake is my basic chocolate recipe, minus the espresso powder. I didn’t want any mocha flavor to come though in the cake.
The frosting is whipped to light and fluffy perfection and is filled with chunks of high quality chocolate and tinted a minty green color.
Chunks of high quality chocolate top the entire cupcake. I used Lindt 50% bittersweet chocolate in the frosting and the garnish. Lindt is my favorite chocolate to use in baking! I blame living in Germany for that though. It’s EVERYWHERE here!
Chasity loved these cupcakes and I was so super happy to make them for her!
Chocolate Chip Mint Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the coffee, cocoa powder, and vanilla and whisk until combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the eggs. SLOWLY add a few tablespoons of the chocolate mixture to the sour cream and eggs. Whisk to combine. In a slow stream, whisk in the remaining chocolate mixture until combined completely.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in wet. Using a whisk, stir until no more lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Whipped Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add half the powdered sugar and beat on high until incorporated.
- Mix in the extract and half the whipping cream and beat until smooth. Scrape the bowl.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and pinch of salt then mix until smooth.
- Add the rest of the heavy cream until you reach your desired consistency. Beat on high speed for at least 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add a drop or two of the green gel food coloring and beat until completely incorporated.
- Add the finely chopped chocolate and beat until combined.
Assembly and Storage
- Using a Wilton 1M piping tip fitted on a disposable bag, pipe a large swirl of frosting on to each cupcake.
- Garnish with a chunk of chocolate.
- Store in an air tight container for up to a week.