They Say It’s Your Birthday…

| birthday, buttercream, cake, chocolate, chocolate cake, peanut butter, recipes

…Well it’s my birthday too!  Yes, today is my 36th 29th birthday! Horray!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake | JavaCupcake.com

Before my day even began, my 14 year old daughter, Emily, woke me before she left for school to sing me Happy Birthday.  It’s a tradition in my family that everyone gets sung to on their birthday.  Near or far, we make it happen.  So, this morning, Emily was the first to sing Happy Birthday to me!  Such a sweet gift from my baby girl.

My day officially started an hour later when I rolled out of bed with the sun shining through my window and a blanket of snow covering my neighborhood.  Just when I thought all the snow had melted, Mother Nature brought us more!  It was a beautiful sight from my window this morning! (I posted a pic of the snow on Instagram!)

My baby boy, Matty, woke up in a super good mood full of snuggle and love.  I love it when he’s in a happy mood in the mornings! He brings such joy and happiness to my day when he’s happy!  Great way to start my birthday!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake | JavaCupcake.com

And then the best thing happened.  My husband called me from Afghanistan to with me a Happy Birthday and to tell me he loves me.  He told me that today, he had  an American flag flown over the Forward Operating Base he’s stationed at in my honor.  It’ll fly over the FOB for 24 hours and tomorrow he’ll take a few pictures of the flag and of him taking it down.  When he comes home, the flag will come with him and will have an official certificate saying where and when it was on the flagpole in Afghanistan.  What a an amazingly special birthday gift!   I am such a lucky woman to have a thoughtful, loving and brave Husband!

UPDATE:  Here are a few of the pictures! Aren’t they great?  I’m so proud to be married to such an amazing American soldier!

JC-Afgh-Flag-Collage

On the agenda for my birthday… do a little laundry, take a hot bath and spend the evening with good friends over dinner and cake!

Cake! Yes, of course there will be cake!

I absolutely LOVE my chocolate cake recipe. I know I’ve said it a million times before, but it’s the best chocolate cake I’ve ever had.  Moist, rich, and full of chocolate flavor.  It holds up perfectly to any frosting and is just so YUM!

So, for my birthday cake this year I made three layers of my favorite chocolate cake.  I used my Double Chocolate Layer Cake recipe and divided the cake in three 8in cake pans to bake.    I filled the cake with my Perfect Peanut Butter Buttercream… both layers inside.  To frost and decorate the outside of the cake, I made a double batch of my Mom’s chocolate fudge frosting recipe.    I had extra peanut butter and fudge frosting, but no worries… it won’t go to waste!  Finally, I decorated the edges with a simple piped scallop edge and topped the cake with chopped Reese’s!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake | JavaCupcake.com

It’s a peanut butter and chocolate lovers dream cake.

And I’m not gonna lie.  I’ve made this cake before… well maybe not exactly this cake.  But the chocolate peanut butter combo I’ve made before.  But this one… it’s pretty darn amazing with both the peanut butter buttercream and fudge frosting.

Recipes to make my Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake:

So, besides my hubby not being here… it’s been a pretty darn good birthday!  Here’s to another great year of life!

Oh… and because I just learned how to make them… here’s a fun GIF of me serving a piece of this cake!

Enjoy!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake | JavaCupcake.com

Older comments

51 Comments on They Say It’s Your Birthday…

1. Life with Kaishon
    February 12, 2014 at 3:59 pm (2 months ago)

Happy Birthday to you Betsy! My sister’s name is Betsy. I have never met a Betsy that I didn’t like! : ). Your cake sounds out of this world fantastic.

How thoughtful of your husband to fly a flag in your honor. I am so grateful for men like him that serve and protect our great country. May God bless him and keep him safe.

Wishing you a beautiful day! Love, Becky

February 12, 2014 at 9:17 pm (2 months ago)

Thanks so much, Becky! I really appreciate your kind words!! And tell your sister, Betsy, I say HELLO! hehe ;)

2. Ashley
    February 12, 2014 at 6:51 pm (2 months ago)

I hate you right now. That cake looks divine! I’m bookmarking this page so I can make me one when I stop dieting. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 12, 2014 at 9:14 pm (2 months ago)

Stop dieting on your birthday… and every day after your birthday until your cake is gone! hehe

3. Carissa
    February 12, 2014 at 7:44 pm (2 months ago)

Oh my dear goodness… I WANT this cake! My birthday is next week, so this is what I’m asking for :-)

February 12, 2014 at 9:14 pm (2 months ago)

I hope someone makes it for you…. because it’s out of this world amazing! Happy Birthday!

4. Becky
    February 13, 2014 at 4:00 am (2 months ago)

YUM!!!! Wow that cake looks incredible.

5. Mary
    February 19, 2014 at 1:58 am (2 months ago)

Happy Belated Birthday Betsy! Hope you had a nice day. Your cake looks absolutely delicious! The story about your husband and his gift was beautiful, thanks for sharing it and also the pictures! Thank you, your family and especially your husband for serving for all of us! God Bless!

February 20, 2014 at 12:08 am (2 months ago)

Thank you, Mary, for the kind words! :)

6. Roxana
    February 19, 2014 at 6:46 pm (2 months ago)

Happy belated birthday Betsy! My husband’s birthday was the 8th… The kids ate his birthday cake cause unfortunately he was sick. Looks like I can make this for his “do over” cake. Lol

February 20, 2014 at 12:07 am (2 months ago)

Thanks Roxana! I hope your hubby loves this cake as much as I did!!

7. Cate @ Chez CateyLou
    March 5, 2014 at 9:47 pm (1 month ago)

I know I am late, but I just had to wish you a happy birthday and tell you how amazing this cake looks! I am a huge PB lover, so this is literally the perfect way to celebrate a birthday!! And thanks for sharing the pictures of your husband – brings tears to my eyes! Thank you to him for his service.

March 6, 2014 at 8:50 am (1 month ago)

You are too sweet, Cate! THANK YOU for the birthday love! <3

8. Esmeralda
    April 2, 2014 at 10:13 pm (2 weeks ago)

My daughter wants a cake like this for her 10th bday, can’t wait to make it! Her bday is in May :) Looks very yummy!

April 4, 2014 at 11:19 am (2 weeks ago)

Yay! It’s a great cake! I hope she has an amazing 10th birthday!

Older comments