They Say It’s Your Birthday…

| birthday, buttercream, cake, chocolate, chocolate cake, peanut butter, recipes

…Well it’s my birthday too!  Yes, today is my 36th 29th birthday! Horray!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake | JavaCupcake.com

Before my day even began, my 14 year old daughter, Emily, woke me before she left for school to sing me Happy Birthday.  It’s a tradition in my family that everyone gets sung to on their birthday.  Near or far, we make it happen.  So, this morning, Emily was the first to sing Happy Birthday to me!  Such a sweet gift from my baby girl.

My day officially started an hour later when I rolled out of bed with the sun shining through my window and a blanket of snow covering my neighborhood.  Just when I thought all the snow had melted, Mother Nature brought us more!  It was a beautiful sight from my window this morning! (I posted a pic of the snow on Instagram!)

My baby boy, Matty, woke up in a super good mood full of snuggle and love.  I love it when he’s in a happy mood in the mornings! He brings such joy and happiness to my day when he’s happy!  Great way to start my birthday!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake | JavaCupcake.com

And then the best thing happened.  My husband called me from Afghanistan to with me a Happy Birthday and to tell me he loves me.  He told me that today, he had  an American flag flown over the Forward Operating Base he’s stationed at in my honor.  It’ll fly over the FOB for 24 hours and tomorrow he’ll take a few pictures of the flag and of him taking it down.  When he comes home, the flag will come with him and will have an official certificate saying where and when it was on the flagpole in Afghanistan.  What a an amazingly special birthday gift!   I am such a lucky woman to have a thoughtful, loving and brave Husband!

UPDATE:  Here are a few of the pictures! Aren’t they great?  I’m so proud to be married to such an amazing American soldier!

JC-Afgh-Flag-Collage

On the agenda for my birthday… do a little laundry, take a hot bath and spend the evening with good friends over dinner and cake!

Cake! Yes, of course there will be cake!

I absolutely LOVE my chocolate cake recipe. I know I’ve said it a million times before, but it’s the best chocolate cake I’ve ever had.  Moist, rich, and full of chocolate flavor.  It holds up perfectly to any frosting and is just so YUM!

So, for my birthday cake this year I made three layers of my favorite chocolate cake.  I used my Double Chocolate Layer Cake recipe and divided the cake in three 8in cake pans to bake.    I filled the cake with my Perfect Peanut Butter Buttercream… both layers inside.  To frost and decorate the outside of the cake, I made a double batch of my Mom’s chocolate fudge frosting recipe.    I had extra peanut butter and fudge frosting, but no worries… it won’t go to waste!  Finally, I decorated the edges with a simple piped scallop edge and topped the cake with chopped Reese’s!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake | JavaCupcake.com

It’s a peanut butter and chocolate lovers dream cake.

And I’m not gonna lie.  I’ve made this cake before… well maybe not exactly this cake.  But the chocolate peanut butter combo I’ve made before.  But this one… it’s pretty darn amazing with both the peanut butter buttercream and fudge frosting.

Recipes to make my Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake:

So, besides my hubby not being here… it’s been a pretty darn good birthday!  Here’s to another great year of life!

Oh… and because I just learned how to make them… here’s a fun GIF of me serving a piece of this cake!

Enjoy!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake | JavaCupcake.com

51 Comments on They Say It’s Your Birthday…

1. Marilyn Bergeron
    February 10, 2014 at 4:30 pm (8 months ago)

Happy Birthday from Ontario,Canada..enjoy your special day!

2. Estefania Carrillo
    February 10, 2014 at 5:26 pm (8 months ago)

Happy Birthday!! Have fun!!

3. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)
    February 10, 2014 at 5:30 pm (8 months ago)

awwww HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! It sounds like it’s been an amazing one!!! Your family is so sweet:)

speaking of sweet….GIRL. THIS CAKE! Can I have it for my birthday too? Because eeeee it is PERFECT!

February 10, 2014 at 9:41 pm (8 months ago)

I know right…. it’s PERFECT. Seriously, perfect. I Reply

4. juliajolliff
    February 10, 2014 at 6:09 pm (8 months ago)

What a beautiful cake!! I love chocolate peanut butter combo-this looks so tasty!

5. Wendy
    February 10, 2014 at 6:28 pm (8 months ago)

It’s my birthday today too! Save me a piece of that amazing looking cake!!

February 10, 2014 at 9:40 pm (8 months ago)

Oooooooooh happy birthday, Wendy!! I know 3 other people with this birthday!! It’s a great day!!

6. Becky
    February 10, 2014 at 6:30 pm (8 months ago)

Betsy,
    Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you! Have a wonderful day, and enjoy eating your wonderful cake. I know what kind of cake I’m making for my birthday!

What a wonderful birthday present that you received from your husband. It will be something that you can cherish forever.

February 10, 2014 at 9:40 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks, Becky! And the cake was so yum!

7. bake.love.give.
    February 10, 2014 at 10:20 pm (8 months ago)

Happy Birthday!!! May your year be full of love and laughter (and cake)!

PS – love the GIF :)

February 11, 2014 at 8:06 am (8 months ago)

You’re the sweetest, Kimmie! THANK YOU! xoxo

8. Toni | Boulder Locavore
    February 11, 2014 at 12:29 am (8 months ago)

Betsy I’ve never met a recipe with peanut butter and chocolate that I did not love and this is certainly no exception! I had no idea what was waiting when I clicked the link to your blog however; it’s spectacular and perfect for celebrating your birthday! Happy Birthday to YOU! Indeed what a wonderful husband you have and I got goosebumps reading what he did for you today. We have an officer friend stationed there for a year. I should email you to see if by any chance they know each other! Enjoy your day!!!

February 11, 2014 at 8:05 am (8 months ago)

Toni, these are some of the kindest words! THANK YOU for the sincere and thoughtful comment! I truly appreciate it! I’m so glad that the FB group exists so that I can explore and discover the work of other great bloggers, like you!! Happy Baking!

February 11, 2014 at 8:05 am (8 months ago)

Yay for Instagram!! hehe Thank you :)

9. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust
    February 11, 2014 at 4:15 pm (8 months ago)

I’m speechless. Like, jaw dropping OMG this cake is amazing.

Happy birthday!! I hope it was fabulous!

February 12, 2014 at 9:26 am (8 months ago)

That’s pretty much the same reaction I got from my friends who got to eat it!! My neighbor came over last night begging for another piece! hehe :) Thanks for the birthday wishes, Dorothy!

10. Bee @ camera in tow
    February 11, 2014 at 6:52 pm (8 months ago)

Happy belated birthday, Betsy! Hope you had a wonderful day. Stay warm!

11. Kristyn Hutson
    February 11, 2014 at 10:32 pm (8 months ago)

Happy Birthday! Thank you to you and your husband for the HUGE commitment to our country! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

February 12, 2014 at 9:22 am (8 months ago)

Thank you, Kristyn. That really means a lot to us! <3

12. Heather @ Sugar Dish Me
    February 12, 2014 at 12:44 am (8 months ago)

Haaaaaapppyyyy Birthday Betsy!!! This cake is amazing and I’m so glad your day started off so great! Love the Gif, by the way. Hope your day is extra wonderful!

13. Beatrice Romero
    February 12, 2014 at 5:12 am (8 months ago)

Happy Happy Birthday Betsy! (a bit belated) Hope your day was filled with amazing and wonderful memories!

February 12, 2014 at 9:21 am (8 months ago)

Thank you so very much, Beatrice!

14. Barbara Hoyer
    February 12, 2014 at 1:50 pm (8 months ago)

Belated happy birthday! It’s a good week for birthdays! A friend of mine has one today. Another friend’s is Saturday, and mine is Sunday.

Your cake looks yummy! I haven’t decided yet what kind of cake I want for my birthday.

February 12, 2014 at 9:21 pm (8 months ago)

Wow! What a lot of days to have an excuse to eat cake!! hehe :)

15. Bev F. (@Linkouture)
    February 12, 2014 at 1:51 pm (8 months ago)

Happy belated birthday! That is my kind of cake, oh my goodness that looks heavenly! I’m going to bookmark this cake and attempt it for my birthday this fall.

16. Barb@embracingthesecondhalf
    February 12, 2014 at 1:59 pm (8 months ago)

Happy Belated Birthday Betsy! That cake looks pretty delicious. I have a good chocolate cake recipe (has coffee in it too) but I might have to try this one. Mine doesn’t have sour cream; you can never go wrong with sour cream. Thanks so much to your husband for his service and my heart goes out to you and your children while he’s away. I hope he comes home soon! My son is in the Air Force (and my husband was in the Army, pre-us being together) but he’s in Missouri. I’m hoping it will stay that way. Thanks for sharing!

February 12, 2014 at 9:20 pm (8 months ago)

Hi Barb – Military families are some of the strongest, don’t you think? Thank you to you and your family as well for your service! Happy Baking!

17. Brittany
    February 12, 2014 at 2:30 pm (8 months ago)

Happy birthday! Your site is really cute, and that cake looks amazing!

February 12, 2014 at 9:21 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you, Miss Brittany!

18. Cindy Jensen
    February 12, 2014 at 3:23 pm (8 months ago)

Happy Birthday Betsy. I hope you had a wonderful day. I love the story of your husbands gift for you. So special. Thank you for being a supportive wife to the military.

You and my husband are two peas in a pod. He loves the chocolate and peanut butter combination. And requested it for his birthday–which is tomorrow. I have my own peanut butter frosting recipe, but I will be using your mother’s cake recipe for the cake. The story of you sharing this cake with your mom on your birthdays is such a wonderful memory I’m sure you cherish.

Thank you for your blog. I make many of your recipes.

February 12, 2014 at 9:18 pm (8 months ago)

Cindy – thanks for such a sweet and thoughtful comment! I really appreciate your kind words. I hope you love the cake as much as I do!! xoxo Happy Birthday to your husband!! <3 Betsy

• Cindy Jensen
        February 14, 2014 at 4:50 am (8 months ago)

Yum.. that cake was so delicious. I love the deep dark color. I had to resist eating it straight out of the oven. The aroma was intoxicating. Again, Thank you for sharing.

February 15, 2014 at 8:56 am (8 months ago)

I know, right. I ALWAYS want to dig right in when I make this cake! Glad you enjoy it!

19. Life with Kaishon
    February 12, 2014 at 3:59 pm (8 months ago)

Happy Birthday to you Betsy! My sister’s name is Betsy. I have never met a Betsy that I didn’t like! : ). Your cake sounds out of this world fantastic.

How thoughtful of your husband to fly a flag in your honor. I am so grateful for men like him that serve and protect our great country. May God bless him and keep him safe.

Wishing you a beautiful day! Love, Becky

February 12, 2014 at 9:17 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks so much, Becky! I really appreciate your kind words!! And tell your sister, Betsy, I say HELLO! hehe ;)

20. Ashley
    February 12, 2014 at 6:51 pm (8 months ago)

I hate you right now. That cake looks divine! I’m bookmarking this page so I can make me one when I stop dieting. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 12, 2014 at 9:14 pm (8 months ago)

Stop dieting on your birthday… and every day after your birthday until your cake is gone! hehe

21. Carissa
    February 12, 2014 at 7:44 pm (8 months ago)

Oh my dear goodness… I WANT this cake! My birthday is next week, so this is what I’m asking for :-)

February 12, 2014 at 9:14 pm (8 months ago)

I hope someone makes it for you…. because it’s out of this world amazing! Happy Birthday!

22. Becky
    February 13, 2014 at 4:00 am (8 months ago)

YUM!!!! Wow that cake looks incredible.

23. Mary
    February 19, 2014 at 1:58 am (8 months ago)

Happy Belated Birthday Betsy! Hope you had a nice day. Your cake looks absolutely delicious! The story about your husband and his gift was beautiful, thanks for sharing it and also the pictures! Thank you, your family and especially your husband for serving for all of us! God Bless!

February 20, 2014 at 12:08 am (7 months ago)

Thank you, Mary, for the kind words! :)

24. Roxana
    February 19, 2014 at 6:46 pm (7 months ago)

Happy belated birthday Betsy! My husband’s birthday was the 8th… The kids ate his birthday cake cause unfortunately he was sick. Looks like I can make this for his “do over” cake. Lol

February 20, 2014 at 12:07 am (7 months ago)

Thanks Roxana! I hope your hubby loves this cake as much as I did!!

25. Cate @ Chez CateyLou
    March 5, 2014 at 9:47 pm (7 months ago)

I know I am late, but I just had to wish you a happy birthday and tell you how amazing this cake looks! I am a huge PB lover, so this is literally the perfect way to celebrate a birthday!! And thanks for sharing the pictures of your husband – brings tears to my eyes! Thank you to him for his service.

March 6, 2014 at 8:50 am (7 months ago)

You are too sweet, Cate! THANK YOU for the birthday love! <3

26. Esmeralda
    April 2, 2014 at 10:13 pm (6 months ago)

My daughter wants a cake like this for her 10th bday, can’t wait to make it! Her bday is in May :) Looks very yummy!

April 4, 2014 at 11:19 am (6 months ago)

Yay! It’s a great cake! I hope she has an amazing 10th birthday!