Cherry M&M candies and semi-sweet chocolate chips fill these cookie bars making them out-of-this-world delicious!
My neighbor likes to collect things for me that she think I’ll like. Most recently, she brought me a bag of Cherry M&M candies. Now, you might not think this is too significant, but when our Commissary has something new, you have to jump on it and buy it immediately. You never know when or if they’re going to have it again.
So I’ve got this bag of cherry M&M’s, what am I going to do with it?
Cherry M&M Cookie Bars. Duh.
I mean really. Was there any other option? Not really.
Okay, now I know what I’m going to make, but now I had to figure out what I was going to do with them once I did make them. I certainly didn’t need an entire pan of these sitting in my house. I’d eat them all. Or my kids would.
Oh… I’ve got it!
My friend Holly is a photographer at Winter’s Splendor Photography and she’s taking picture of my 12th Man Rally. I can give them to her as a Thank You! Perfect! She’s got kids and a husband who can all enjoy them together. Wonderful.
Are you wondering what a 12th Man Rally is? If you didn’t already know, I’m a HUGE Seattle Seahawks fan. I mean… I’ve loved them my entire life! And finally… this year they are going to the Super Bowl! For only the second time in the history of the team they are going to the Big Show!
To show my support for the team and my hometown of Seattle, I gathered as many Seahawks fans I could find and took a big group photo! The fans are called the 12th Man… 11 players on the field…. the 12th man in the stands. That’s us!
Back to these Cherry M&M Cookie Bars! The batter is really a basic one… two bowls and a 9x13in pan are really all you need. If you didn’t have Cherry M&Ms you could sub any candy, nut, or chocolate. The possibilities are endless!
- 10.5oz all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 bag Cherry M&M candies
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees and line 9x13in baking pan with parchment paper. Lightly spray the pan and paper with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir together until completely combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and 1 cup of the cherry M&M's and mix until incorporated.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining cherry M&M's on the top of the batter making sure to evenly distribute. Gently press the candies into the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes on the low-middle rack in your oven. The bars will be done with the edges brown and the top is firm to the gently touch.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Use a butter knife around the edges of the cookie that directly touch the pan before lifting the cookie out.
- Cut the cookie into squares. Serve with cold milk.
- Store in an air tight container up to 4 days.