These White Chocolate Twix cupcakes are a shortbread cookie cupcake filled with caramel and topped with white chocolate and a White Chocolate Twix candy! Seriously… it’s sheer perfection!Several months ago, my husband and I were shopping at the German market Edeka and we spotted a candy bar we had never seen before. White Chocolate Twix! WOAH! My husband LOVES Twix and he LOVES white chocolate… but together, in the same candy bar… HOLY COW! Of course the first thing to pop in my mind was how these would make the BEST cupcakes!
I really wanted to get that Twix cookie flavor into the cake part – so I used a basic sponge cake recipe and then incorporated crushed shortbread cookies into the batter. The result is perfect – it’s hard to describe, but it’s almost like a soft cookie. It has a thick crumb and tastes just like shortbread. YUM!
The cupcake is filled with caramel sauce. Now – since I wasn’t trying to spend ALL day in the kitchen, I used a jar of premade sauce, but you could definitely make your own. Dulce de leche would be great in the middle of these cupcakes too! When taking a bite into these cupcakes, instead of caramel oozing out all over the place, it was soaked up into the cake… so you get a burst of caramel flavor without the mess! Perfect!
Topping these little yummies is a whipped white chocolate frosting. I call it whipped because that’s what I did to it – whipped the heck out of it making it a light and fluffy frosting. And on top of the frosting, a 1/3 of a White Chocolate Twix candy bar!
And – if I’m not mistaken, I’m pretty certain no one has ever made these before… I think it may actually be a cupcake first!!
White Chocolate Twix Cupcakes
Shortbread cake filled with caramel sauce and topped with whipped white chocolate frosting!
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy – about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until incorporated. Beat on high for 3-4 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk and vanilla.
- In three parts add the flour mixture and mix on low… between each addition of flour, add half the milk. Mix only until just combined.
- Fold in the crushed shortbread cookies.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Core each cupcake with an apple corer. Reserve the cake from the middle.
- Fill each cupcake with about a tablespoon of caramel sauce and place the cored cake on top of the caramel – filling the hole.
Whipped White Chocolate Frosting
- Place chopped chocolate in a microwave safe glass bowl. Microwave in 30 second bursts at 60% heat until 80% melted. Stir until all the chocolate has melted. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and mix on high until combined.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, pour in the white chocolate. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix on medium speed until incorporated.
- Add the heavy cream & salt and whip for 4-5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- If the frosting seems too soft, place it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to slightly firm up.
- Use a large open, star tip (such as Wilton B8) to pipe a swirl of frosting onto each cupcake. Top the cupcake with 1/3 of a white chocolate Twix candy bar.