I am making vanilla cupcakes today for a friend and I wanted to do more than just a white cake with white frosting… so, I decided to try something new! Royal Icing Flowers! Yup – you know those sugar flowers you can buy at the grocery store? Well – you can make them yourself at home… and it’s super easy!
The great thing about these flowers is that you can make a lot of them at once… store them… and then use them all year round. You can top cupcakes with these flowers or even decorate cakes with them! Super simple, super fun and super cute!
- Disposable piping bags
- Wilton #1M tip
- Wilton #4 tip
- Royal Icing (see recipe below)
- Wax paper
- Flat surface
Prepare your work area:
- Cut the tip of your disposable bags off and place the piping tips inside.
- Fill the bag with the Wilton #4 tip with the yellow icing and fill the bags with the #1M tips with the other colors.
- Place a large piece of wax paper on a flat surface – if you have something to hold the corners of the paper down, do so.
- Hold a filled piping bag fitting with a #1M tip at a 90 degree angle to the wax paper. Place the tip directly above but not touching the wax paper.
- Apply firm pressure to the bag so that the icing flows out. Immediately begin to rotate the bag, keeping it straight and continually pressing icing out. After the bag has been rotated about a quarter turn, release pressure and pull the bag straight up. Repeat this process with each color of icing.
- Using the yellow icing with the #4 tip, pipe a small yellow dot in the center of each flower.
- Let flowers set out over night to dry.
- After the flowers have set out to dry overnight, store them in an air tight container.
- If stored properly, they will keep for up to a year.