A few days ago, my friend Erica (she’s an Army Wife too & our husbands worked together at JBLM in Tacoma, WA.) said she was making peanut butter fudge and my ears perked up like a dog who heard a fire truck and wanted to run after it! Immediately, I asked for the recipe and Erica responded with 5 simple ingredients. Seriously, could fudge be that easy? This recipe comes from her Grandma Dillow… which means it’s sure to be a winner if it comes from Grandma!
So today, I tried it. Erica’s recipe didn’t call for the use of a candy thermometer, but I had a brand new one I wanted to try out, so I used mine. I can’t say I’ve ever really been a successful fudge maker, but after making this recipe… I think I am!
Grandma Dillow didn’t top her fudge with chocolate, but I LOVE chocolate and peanut butter so, I added a thin layer of chocolate to the top of the fudge. YUM!
Thanks Grandma Dillow and thanks to Erica for sharing this yummy family recipe!
If you’re like me and are new to making fudge, read this helpful post: Tips for Making the Perfect Fudge!
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup milk or heavy cream
- 9oz (about 1 heaping cup) creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips + 2 Tbsp for garnish (optional)
- Medium/large heavy-sided sauce pan
- Wooden spoon
- Candy Therometer
- Small off-set metal spatula
- 8×8 baking dish + 1 Tbsp butter for greasing
- Butter the bottom and sides of an 8×8 baking dish. (I used glass, but a metal dish is okay too.)
- Measure out the peanut butter & vanilla, set aside.
- In a medium/large heavy-sided sauce pan, bring the butter, sugar and milk to a boil – stirring constantly using a wooden spoon.
- While constantly stirring, bring mixture to 240-244 F degrees. Remove from heat and immediately mix in the peanut butter and vanilla.
- Press fudge into prepared dish using a small off-set metal spatula.
- OPTIONAL: While still warm, sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top of the fudge. Using a small off-set spatula, once the chocolate begins to melt, spread it evenly. Allow to cool about 10 minutes then sprinkle evenly remaining 2 Tbsp mini chips as garnish without spreading.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving. NOTE: If you need to cut it sooner, place in the fridge for 30 minutes.