Earlier this week I saw a recipe (by What Megan’s Making
) for some cosmic brownies that looked like they needed to be made in my kitchen… like ASAP. So, I bookmarked the recipe, Facebooked about needing brownies in my life… and then seriously, made it happen.
Usually when I bookmark a recipe, it stays there for a few days until I muster up the energy to make them. But… not these brownies. Two bowls, no mixer and only 18 minutes in the oven. Seriously, it only took 45 minutes before I was putting one in my mouth.
The original recipe called for mini M&M’s on top… but I didn’t have any. So I used rainbow sprinkle jimmies. I also tweaked the ganache recipe a bit too.
So uhm yeah… make these.
Thick, chewy brownies topped with a dark chocolate ganache… perfect Friday night treat for the family!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 7 oz 84% cocoa dark chocolate
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- pinch of salt
- Rainbow Sprinkles/Jimmies to sprinkle over the top
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease bottom of 13x9in metal pan with butter then line with parchment paper and butter top of paper and sides of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars, melted butter, eggs, water, and vanilla until smooth.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour to the wet mixture and whisk until combined, about 25 strokes. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into greased pan and spread evenly with an spatula.
- Bake 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with crumbly brownie, no wet batter.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes before frosting with ganache.
- While the brownies are baking, prepare the ganache.
- Chop the chocolate into very fine pieces and place in a medium glass bowl.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the cream until simmering. Do not boil.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and stir until smooth. NOTE: If chocolate seems too thick and does not smooth out, add a few more tablespoons of heavy cream and mix in until it becomes smooth.
- Stir in the salt.
- Add the butter and mix until smooth.
- Pour the ganache over the brownie while still in the pan. Use a spatula to spread.
- Top with Rainbow Jimmies.
- Put in the freezer for 20 minutes to allow the ganache to set up/harden or if you’re more patient, just leave it out to cool completely and harden. (I’m not that patient!)
- Cut and EAT!