I know. Obsessive.
But whatever. It’s Christmas!
So today… I originally wanted to make a peppermint sugar cookie, but then decided to use these Chocolate Cherry Kisses that had been sitting in the candy bowl screamed to be used up. Also in my cabinet was a jar of marichino cherries and some mini chocolate chips.
DING DING DING! We have a WINNER!
Cherries + Chocolate = DELICIOUS
Cherries + Chocolate + Cookies = HEAVEN
This cookie is so super simple and easy to make… almost too easy. And even better than it’s simplicity… it’s almost VEGAN! No eggs or dairy! (Sub a non-animal shortening for the butter and you’ve got Vegan! HORRAY!)
Chocolate Cherry Blossoms
Makes 2-3 dozen cookies (depending on size)
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3 tsp Maraschino cherry juice (the juice your cherries come in!)
1/4 tsp almond extract (vanilla is okay too if you don’t have almond)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup Maraschino cherries, chopped
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup sugar
Hershey’s Chocolate Cherry Kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together the salt, butter and powdered sugar.
- Add the cherry juice and extract and mix until combined. Don’t forget to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl!
- Add the flour and mix just until combined.
- Fold in the chopped cherries and mini chocolate chips.
- Using a tiny 1in ice cream scoop… scoop then roll 1in balls of dough in your hand. Roll them in the 1/2 cup sugar and place them on your cookie sheet 2in apart.
- Using the bottom of a glass, press the dough slightly to flatten… not too much, we don’t want pancake cookies!
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until bottoms of cookies just begin to brown.
- As soon as you take the cookies out of the oven, press a Kiss into the center of each cookie. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- I actually ran out of Kisses, so some of the cookies got a drizzle of a simple chocolate ganache on top!