Another group of soldiers is in need of some TLC as they ship off to Afghanistan and it’s my job to make sure they have sufficient amounts of sugar as they board the plane on the biggest adventure of their life!
These cookie bars are packed with two kinds of chips and a Reese’s peanut butter cup in the middle. They’re perfect for anyone who loves food that’s both sweet and savory. And trust us, they’re insanely delicious. So go ahead and bake up a batch (or two) today!
Run to your kitchen and whip up a batch of these for your kids…. they’ll thank you for it.
(PS… I didn’t feel like breaking out the big camera to take pictures…. so, you get camera phone pics!)
Double Chip Surprise Cookie Bars
Makes 12 bars
8×8 glass pan
non-stick cooking spray
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk
10oz bag + 1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
12 mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Lightly spray bottom of an 8x8x2 glass pan with cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with a square piece of parchment paper. Generously spray top of paper and sides of pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat on high for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. In two parts, with the mixer on low, add the flour and mix until barely combined.
- Add the milk and mix until just incorporated.
- By hand, fold in the chocolate and butterscotch chips.
- Press half the dough into the pan. Arrange 12 peanut butter cups evenly onto of this layer, pressing them gently into the dough.
- Spread evenly the remaining dough on top of the pb cups, making sure to spread into the corners. Again, press dough gently into bottom layer.
- Bake in the center of your oven for 40-50 minutes or until baked through. Do not over bake!
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into 12 squares. Be patient, you want them to set up before you cut them… they will keep their shape better if cooled when cutting.