Butterfinger Ice Cream Cake

| cake, candy, featured, ice cream & ice cream cakes, recipes, top posts sidebar

Every year my husband wants an ice cream cake for his birthday.  Unfortunately, he’s usually in Iraq on his birthday… but not this year!! He’s home this year and I wanted to make his ice cream cake super special by making it myself.  He requested a Butterfinger ice cream cake!

It’s really a lot simpler than I thought it would be. Although, a bit time consuming (it took 2 days)… the end product was really worth it!

This Butterfinger cake has a layer of graham cracker crust on the bottom, a layer of Butterfinger ice cream, Butterfinger crunchies in the middle, a layer of vanilla ice cream all covered in Whipped cream frosting and sprinkled with more Butterfingers.

It’s Butterfinger heaven.

Here’s what you need to make this cake:

Prep time: 2-3 hours plus overnight, 1 more hour the next day

Wilton 10″ Springform pan
Non stick spray
Large mixing bowl

2 half gallons of vanilla bean ice cream
8-10 Butterfinger King Size candy bars, crushed into very small pieces/crumbs

24 (full size) graham crackers, crushed into fine crumbs
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar

1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tsp vanilla

1. At least 45 minutes before you begin, set out one half gallon of ice cream on the counter to soften. You want it partially melted, but not completely liquid.
  2. Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees. Spray the bottom of the spring form pan with non-stick spray.
  3. Combine crushed graham crackers with the sugar. Add the melted butter until all the graham crackers are moistened.
  4. Press graham crackers into the bottom of the spring form pan. You want to create about a 1/4 in crust. You may not need all the mixture. (Save the rest for another recipe!) Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack completely.
  5. After the crust has completely cooled, prepare your ice cream. In a large mixing bowl, mix one half gallon of softened ice cream with at least 1/2 cup of crushed Butterfingers.
  6. Take out the 2nd half gallon of ice cream to soften.
  7. Spread all of the Butterfinger ice cream on top of the graham cracker crust.
  8. Reserve 1/4 cup of remaining Butterfinger for topping. Spread the rest evenly across the Butterfinger ice cream. Pat it down gently into the ice cream.
  9. Place springform pan in the freezer for 20-30 minutes or until the ice cream firms up.
  10. After it has firmed, spread the vanilla ice cream on top until it fills the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
  11. Prepare the whipped cream frosting by beating the whipping cream with the whisk attachment on a stand mixer on high for several minutes. Add the vanilla and sugar gradually and slowly as it begins to whisk. You’ll know it’s done when its thick and fluffy in texture.
  12. Apply a thin layer of whipped cream to the top and sides of your cake. I used a large star tip to create a decorative border around the top edge.
  13. Sprinkle the remaining crushed Butterfinger on the top.
  14. Freeze for 1 hour or until ready to use. You’ll want the whipped cream to be solid.
  15. Remove the cake from the 15 minutes before you want to serve.
  16. Enjoy!

23 Comments on Butterfinger Ice Cream Cake

1. Michelle
    June 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm (3 years ago)

this would be great for 4th of July ( if it warms up) with some strawberry ice cream then vanilla on top and cover it with some blueberries and strawberries and whip cream

June 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm (3 years ago)

sounds delish, michelle!

• Shirley
      September 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm (3 years ago)

Then it wouldn’t be Butterfinger Cake.

2. Traci Oberman
    July 20, 2011 at 5:16 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you for posting this recipe. This year my sons request is this cake and I was just gonna do myself without recipe. This sure helps me. I’ve made oreo but not butterfinger.

July 20, 2011 at 8:59 pm (3 years ago)

Traci! Let me know how it turns out for you! I’d love to see pictures! My husband LOVED this cake! <3 xoxo
      Betsy

3. Chelsea
    August 10, 2011 at 1:47 am (3 years ago)

By the beard of Zeus, this looks incredible. Love is not enough to describe my feelings toward Butterfingers. When I was a kid, my mom would always make this Butterfinger/angel food cake/whipped cream-ish dessert for my birthdays. I think I will be starting a new tradition this year!

August 10, 2011 at 6:25 am (3 years ago)

It’s 6:24am here in Germany when I read your comment Chelsea…. and you totally made me giggle so loud I’m pretty sure my sleeping daughter and neighbors heard me. This cake was AH-MAH-ZING and everyone who ate it LOVED IT! I hope you love it too!!! xoxox Thanks for stopping by! <3
      Betsy

4. Valda
    September 21, 2011 at 9:09 pm (3 years ago)

Do you use vanilla bean ice cream or butterfinger ice cream to make this? Thank you!

September 22, 2011 at 7:32 am (3 years ago)

I used vanilla ice cream then added butterfingers to it! :)

5. connie mosezar
    September 23, 2011 at 12:45 am (3 years ago)

hahahaha when you get to be 75 and spoiled you don’t have to worry about
    calories mmmmmmmm good

6. Michael
    November 24, 2011 at 5:29 am (3 years ago)

I just made this cake a few hours ago and now I’m just waiting for Thanksgiving to eat it! It’s going to be great! Thanks for the recipe!

November 24, 2011 at 9:17 am (3 years ago)

Yuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm! Send me pictures!

7. Annamaria Settanni McDonald
    February 1, 2012 at 2:17 am (2 years ago)

Now that’s what I call an ICE CREAM CAKE!!!! YUM! Stop by some time! Love this recipe and I know my family will too!

February 1, 2012 at 8:17 am (2 years ago)

Seriously… BEST CAKE EVER!

8. Tara
    March 31, 2012 at 5:12 pm (2 years ago)

Just made this for a party tonight with Reese’s instead of Butterfinger. How did you get it out of the pan? It’s frozen in there.

9. Morgan
    September 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm (2 years ago)

I’m going to make this for my boyfriend’s birthday (he is an avid butterfingers fan), but with chocolate ice cream with a bit of malted milk powder mixed in, and a chocolate graham cracker crust! YUM, thanks for the inspiration!

10. Joanne T Ferguson
    July 2, 2013 at 7:42 am (1 year ago)

G’day! Used to LOVE Butterfingers, tue!
    Have MANY fond childhood memories of too!
    Combine that with a cake….YUM!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Foodie Friends Friday Party too!

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Butterfinger Ice Cream Cake

1. [...] Butterfinger Ice Cream Cake From Java Cupcake [...]

2. [...] Thank you, Java Cupcake for this amazing recipe! Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

3. [...] Butterfinger Ice Cream Cake Java Cupcake [...]