I brought Carrie her cupcakes at the Tacoma Holiday Food & Gift show because she had to work on her birthday!
For Carrie’s cupcakes, I made a variation of my Tree Hugger cupcakes… a little simpler and a few less steps! These are a snickerdoole cupcake filled with caramelized apples, topped with a cinnamon buttercream, more apples and caramel drizzle! SO GOOD!
JavaCupcake’s Appledoodle Cupcakes
Makes approx 36 cupcakes
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
4 large eggs (3 jumbo eggs), locally grown, room temperature
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 2tbsp milk
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pans with 36 liners.
- With an electric mixer, combine butter and sugars and mix until light and fluffy.
- While mixing, in another bowl sift together flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Sift at least twice to ensure all ingredients are combined.
- Add eggs one at a time to butter and sugar, mixing thoroughly after each egg.
- In a measuring cup that pours, mix together the milk and vanilla. Get applesauce measured as well, do not add it to milk mixture.
- Add flour mixture in four parts alternating with either the milk or the applesauce making sure to end with flour mixture.
- Scrape sides of the bowl and give it one final mix for about 30 seconds. Do not over mix.
- Fill liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes and rotate pan 180 degrees in oven. Bake another 3-4 minutes.
- Cupcakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean and top is lightly golden brown.
Apples for filling
4 tbsp butter
2-3 large locally grown apples, cored and diced – Honeycrisp was used for this recipe
½ cup brown sugar, not packed
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp corn starch
- In a medium pan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter
- Add apples to the pan and coat with the melted butter
- Add the brown sugar and mix until sugar starts to melt.
- Add cinnamon and mix until combined.
- Put a lid loosely on top of the pan for 2-3 minutes, just long enough to start to soften the apples.
- Add corn starch to thicken.
- Remove lid and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and let cool until ready to fill cupcakes.
- *Note* You want the apples to have a lot of sauce! So don’t reduce it too much!
-1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
-2lbs (or one bag) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
-1/2 cup milk
-2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- In an electric mixer on medium-high, cream butter until smooth.
- Mix the vanilla and milk together in a measuring cup and set aside.
- Add sifted sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth after each cup.
- Between each cup of sugar, add the milk/vanilla mixture, making sure to end with powdered sugar.
- Add the cinnamon.
- Beat on high for 5 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes using a Wilton #6B star tip.
To Assemble the Cupcakes:
- Core each cupcake and insert a dollop of caramelized apple mixture.
- Use a Wilton #6B star tip to frost with buttercream.
- Top with a drizzle of caramel sauce and 3 pieces of diced apple.