Oh hiiiiii! I’m Heather – a friend of Betsey’s – and today I made you a pie!
Other days you can find me over at Sugar Dish Me where I share lots of food and talk too much about dogs. Since Betsey and family are making the looooong trek back to the states with all their stuff in tow, it seemed like the perfect time to jump over here and talk to all of you so Miss Java Cupcake can relocate all her sprinkles and put away all her muffin tins.
I come bearing gifts…
Everyone loves a no-bake pie recipe, right?
This one is super easy – like you could probably make it even if you had to move back to the U.S. from Germany and your kitchen was full of boxes.
I based this recipe on everyone’s favorite no-bake peanut butter pie. You know the one made with cream cheese and cool whip? THAT. Plus I added instant espresso (not your grandma’s Sanka), and chocolate spread.
Let’s discuss chocolate spread. I used Hershey’s because it was the only one I could find without anything added to it. There are lots of varieties made by lots of brands. Last year JIF had a mocha cappuccino spread that would have worked perfectly, but I couldn’t find it. The moral to this conversation is to use what you like/can find without going to a zillion stores.
Next we are going to talk about Cool Whip. Please don’t send me (or Betsey) Cool Whip hate mail. Cool Whip has it’s place in the no-bake dessert world and I’ll tell you why: TEXTURE.
So. All that pretty whipped fluffiness on this pie? It’s fresh, delicious, I-made-it-myself whipped cream. I adore it. I can (and do) eat it straight from the mixing bowl with a spoon. IN the pie though, I use Cool Whip. Because it keeps the filling soooooooper creamy. It folds in without falling. It thaws faster when you are ready to serve. (you can even buy 1/3 fat versions if you wanna cut some calories etc) All of that said, if you are a stickler, you can make this pie with natural homemade sweetened whipped cream. I’ll leave that up to you.
10 minutes of prep, pop it in the freezer, and 2 hours later you have the prettiest pie loaded with chocolate coffee flavor. Mocha Latte Pie! Perfect for a blog called Java Cupcake I think.
So before I go — a little more about me:
- If you dig easy recipes you can have mine delivered to your inbox by going HERE
- Cheesecake is my favorite. If it is also your favorite you should try this Bourbon Cheesecake with Boozy Chocolate.
- I really like cooking and baking with booze.
- If you love dogs I will be your best friend. I volunteer with a rescue group and we have 5 dogs plus two foster dogs right now. Yes that is 7 dogs.
- I’m getting married in September.
- I’d love it if you joined me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!
- 2 prepared chocolate cookie pie crusts
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup chocolate spread
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 (8 ounce) containers of Cool Whip
- For the topping:
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- chocolate shavings to garnish
- Beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar together until fluffy. Add the chocolate spread and espresso powder. Beat until combined. Then mix in the vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula fold in the Cool Whip until it is evenly incorporated. Divide the pie filling between the two crusts.
- To make the topping add the heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on med high until stiff peaks form, adding the powdered sugar a tablespoon at a time while it mixes. Spread over both pies and cover with the shaved chocolate.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours or overnight.