Kick your banana bread up a notch by transforming them into these delicious Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cupcakes!
There is not an awesome reason why I made these cupcakes. I just had a few bananas that were super ripe and wanted to use them up. Really, I was bored with traditional banana bread and decided to come up with a new recipe to use over ripe bananas.
That and I wanted to take pictures of the cupcakes next to my new silk peonies. Which I am obsessed with this summer. Peonies are my favorite summer flower and I love having them fresh for as long as I can during the summer.
Since I had these bright pink silk peonies, I knew I needed to bake whatever I was making in the pink grease proof bake bright liners from Sweets & Treats Boutique. I mean seriously, how cute are these liners?
So for the cupcakes I used a basic banana bread recipe for the cake and added chocolate chips to it. I mean seriously, everything is better with chocolate chips. Under the cake is a cookie crust made with Nilla Wafers. So yum. Finally, the cupcake is topped with a dollop of cream cheese frosting and a crunchy topping. So much nom nom nom happening in this cupcake it’s almost too much to handle!
So between these pretty amazing tasting cupcakes and my peonies, I managed to take 100 pictures of them. I know, a little over board but whatever. It makes me happy.
To buy these grease-proof cupcake liners, visit Sweets & Treats Boutique!
- 6oz Nilla Wafers
- 5oz melted unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8oz room temperature cream cheese
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Line a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a food processor, pulse together all the ingredients until combined.
- Press a tablespoon of the crust into each liner and press flat with the bottom of a glass or spoon.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar until well combined.
- Mass the ripe bananas and add it to the wet mixture.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and fold until almost all the flour is wet.
- Add the milk and continue to mix until combined. Do not over mix!
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the cupcake liners almost to the top with the batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before cooling on a wire rack completely.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the sugar and cream cheese until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of cream until you get your desired consistency. Mix until combined.
- Using a large round tip on a piping bag, squeeze a dollop of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it has come together.
- Crumble the dough onto a baking sheet in large chunks. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cool to the touch, bread into smaller pieces to crumble on top of the frosting.