I’ve got this yummy box of mandarin oranges just sitting on my counter. I don’t know what it is… but I think my family might be all mandarin oranged out. I think this might be our third box this season… so yeah, it was about time to do something with them before they went bad.
But what? Oh… duh, COOKIES! haha It’s that time of year and I’ve been doing nothing but baking cookies lately. So, why not mandarin orange cookies? But hmmm…. what goes with orange in cookies… hmmmmm??? CRANBERRIES! Oh and WHITE CHOCOLATE!
I took a basic brown sugar cookie cookie dough recipe and transformed it into a super amazing Mandarin Orange & Cranberry White Chocolate Cookie!
Now, I used fresh cranberries and fresh oranges, but I’m sure if all you had was canned or jarred that would be okay too. I just love the idea of big chunks of fresh fruit in these cookies!
I’ve seen some with a glaze on top, but I didn’t want to hide the chunks of fruit inside of them, so I just topped them dough with sugar before baking. I think they’re pretty much PERFECT!
Mandarin Orange & Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp orange extract
3 tbsp orange juice
Zest of one Mandarin orange
2 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup halved fresh Mandarin orange slices (about 4 Mandarin oranges)
1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
1 cup white chocolate chips or chunks (I used a mix of both cause that’s what I had on hand)
1/4 cup sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add the egg, extract, zest and orange juice. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix on high for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour to the butter/sugar and mix on low until just combined.
- Fold in the halved orange slices, chopped cranberries and white chocolate.
- Drop 1 tbsp of dough onto the cookie sheet, 1-2 inches apart. Do not place more than 12 on a sheet, the cookies spread and need room!
- Dust each mound of dough with sugar.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Do not overbake!
- Remove and let cook on sheet for about 1 minute. Remove to a wire rack to cool complete.