Rich chocolate cake filled with graham cracker crumble topped with whipped marshmallow frosting, Hershey’s chocolate and a dusting of graham cracker crumbs make these the most epic S’mores Cupcakes you’ll ever have!
It’s been almost two years since my neighbor (and now best friend!) Chasity enjoyed my cupcakes for the first time. Two summers ago, she had an end-of-the summer BBQ in her back yard and we roasted marshmallows for s’mores. It had been forever since I had s’mores and it inspired me to make cupcakes… S’mores Cupcakes!
I brought those cupcakes to Chasity and they instantly became her favorite! She still talks about them to this day!! So, when it was time for Chasity to leave Germany and move back to the USA, she requested I make them again for her!
This time though, I wanted to make them a little fancier. The first round were delicious, but they weren’t as “pretty” as I like to make my cupcakes. I love a gorgeous swirl of frosting on top of the cupcake and I love using liners from Sweets & Treats Boutique. So, that’s exactly what I did with these cupcakes. I just think they turned out absolutely beautiful! Well… as beautiful as a cupcake can be!! hehe
Instead of having a graham cracker crust and a cracker on top, I decided to fill the cupcake with the same mixture that I’d use if I were making a graham cracker crust. I packed that filling in tight so when you took a bite, the filling would be firm like a pie crust.
The frosting is a marshmallow frosting and a s’mores cupcake wouldn’t be complete with a Hershey’s chocolate! So, I topped each cupcake with a chunk of that delicious Hershey’s milk chocolate and a dusting of graham cracker.
Perfect! And… Chasity loved them! 🙂
One of the hardest parts of military life is saying goodbye to those friends you’ve become so close with. So close, they’re family. Chasity… I love you and I am so thankful for the friendship we shared! I couldn’t have had a better neighbor, friend and now sister! <3 Good luck to you in the USA and you will be missed every day!
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup brewed coffee
- ½ Tbsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 7oz jar marshmallow fluff/creme
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy cream/milk
- 1 bar Hershey's chocolate
- Reserved graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the coffee, espresso powder, cocoa powder, and vanilla and whisk until combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the eggs. SLOWLY add a few tablespoons of the chocolate mixture to the sour cream and eggs. Whisk to combine. In a slow stream, whisk in the remaining chocolate mixture until combined completely.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in wet. Using a whisk, stir until no more lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Mix together until completely incorporated.
- Reserve ¼ cup for garnish.
- Cream together the butter and marshmallow fluff.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and salt and mix on high until combined.
- Add enough cream until you get your desired consistency.
- Beat on high for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Using an apple corer, remove the center of each cupcake.
- Fill each cupcake with the graham cracker filling. Pack the filling tightly into each cupcake by pressing down and adding more until the filling reaches the top.
- Using a Wilton 1M tip fitted on a piping bag, pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Place ½ a square of chocolate onto the top of the frosting.
- Sprinkle reserved graham cracker filling onto the frosting.
- Keep stored in an air tight container up to a week.