Last weekend my neighbors had us over for one big BBQ before school started. Toward the end of the evening, the fire pit was lit and the marshmallows were brought out. It was S’more time!!!
I couldn’t tell you the last time I had a s’more. It had probably been years, to be honest. At first, I wasn’t going to eat one… I was just going to let the kids enjoy it and watch. But, then my wonderful husband roasted the perfect marshmallow. You know… golden on the outside, soft and gooey on the middle… perfect. And, I wanted it. So, I made him give it to me… smushed next to a hunk of Hershey’s chocolate inbetween two graham crackers.
First bite. Heaven. Why don’t we make these more often? I ended up eating two whole s’mores. Yeah. I know, why did I stop at two? haha But… all this s’more goodness got me to thinking about making a s’mores cupcake. One last tribute to the summer, the neighborhood bbq’s and the amazing deliciousness that is graham cracker, chocolate and marshmallow.
So… this cupcake was born. The “End of Summer S’mores Cupcake.” It’s simple in it’s ingredients. Graham cracker crust, my favorite chocolate cake topped with toasted marshmallow frosting and garnished with a chunk of graham cracker and chocolate… but the flavor is all s’mores!! YUM!
Before the summer is over… make these for your family or neighborhood friends. One last tribute to summer and all it’s fun!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 Tbsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Graham Cracker Filling
- 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 7oz jar marshmallow fluff/creme
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy cream/milk
- 1 bar Hershey's chocolate
- Reserved graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the coffee, espresso powder, cocoa powder, and vanilla and whisk until combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the eggs. SLOWLY add a few tablespoons of the chocolate mixture to the sour cream and eggs. Whisk to combine. In a slow stream, whisk in the remaining chocolate mixture until combined completely.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in wet. Using a whisk, stir until no more lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Graham Cracker Filling
- In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Mix together until completely incorporated.
- Reserve 1/4 cup for garnish.
- Cream together the butter and marshmallow fluff.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and salt and mix on high until combined.
- Add enough cream until you get your desired consistency.
- Beat on high for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
Assembly & Garnish
- Using an apple corer, remove the center of each cupcake.
- Fill each cupcake with the graham cracker filling. Pack the filling tightly into each cupcake by pressing down and adding more until the filling reaches the top.
- Using a Wilton 1M tip fitted on a piping bag, pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Place 1/2 a square of chocolate onto the top of the frosting.
- Sprinkle reserved graham cracker filling onto the frosting.
- Keep stored in an air tight container up to a week.
Left over marshmallow frosting and chocolate? Make real s’mores!