Tart lime caked filled with rum infused raspberry filling topped with fresh mint buttercream make these Raspberry Mojito Cupcakes the perfect treat! My neighbors are getting ready to move back to the USA are downsizing a lot of their stuff before they leave… including their alcohol supply. SCORE for us! They gave us a giant bottle of Bacardi rum and over the weekend, my husband made his favorite drink with the rum… Mojitos! I’m not sure how he came across the recipe for raspberry mojitos, but while we were cooking dinner last night, Dave hands me one (get the recipe here!). Oh. Em. Gee it was delicious! And it got me to thinking! I bet I could transform these flavors into a cupcake! Lime, raspberry, mint and rum. That’s too easy! Plus, I have’t been posting too many cupcakes on my blog and I was about due for a new recipe. So… the idea for a these Raspberry Mojito Cupcakes was born! The cake is packed full of lime flavor including sugar that was infused with oils of lime zest and freshly squeezed lime juice. The raspberry filling was made with rum and reduced over heat to cook off all the alcohol. Topping the cupcake is a mint buttercream which is whipped to airy perfection. The entire cupcake is topped with a fresh mint sprig and a whole raspberry. Cupcake Awesomeness! If you’re worried about the alcohol content in these cupcakes, don’t be. There is a very small amount of rum in the raspberry filling and it should all cook off when you make it. So if you wanted to make these cupcakes for a family friendly party… no worries! The flavor of rum is subtle by design! Before I even had a chance to take pictures of these cupcakes, my husband was scheming to get his hands on them! They’re pretty darn delicious. Seriously delicious. Like, I couldn’t just eat one, delicious. Like, I’d probably eat a dozen of them myself if I didn’t need to fit into a ball gown this weekend! hehe
Love the liners on my cupcakes? They’re grease-proof liners from Sweets & Treats Boutique. These are my new favorite pattern, quarterfoil! Make sure to stop by Sweets & Treats Boutique and pick up a pack for yourself!
PS… Check back on Thursday for the recipe for the inspiration for these cupcakes, the Raspberry Mojito!
Raspberry Mojito Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Wilton Leaf Green Gel Food Coloring
Rum Raspberry Filling
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 3 Tbsp white rum (I used Bacardi)
- 1 Tbsp Chambord raspberry liquor (optional)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
Whipped Mint Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup shortening (I used Crisco)
- 1lb powdered sugar
- 1 tsp mint extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- pinch of salt
- mint sprigs (enough to top each cupcake)
- fresh raspberries (enough to top each cupcake)
- Get out your eggs and buttermilk to bring to room temperature 30 minutes before you begin.
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and line your cupcake pan with liners.
- Zest the 2 limes into a small prep bowl and pour the sugar over it. Using the back of a rubber spatula, press the sugar into the lime zest until the sugar has become fluffy and fragrant. This process should take 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium prep bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cold, cubed butter on high until smooth.
- Add the lime sugar and beat until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. NOTE: The butter and sugar will not become light and fluffy because of the oils in the lime.
- One at a time, add the eggs and mix on medium-high for 30 seconds after each addition making sure to scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl to ensure everything is incorporated.
- Add the lime juice and mix in. NOTE: The mixture will look curdled, but don’t worry… this is normal.
- Using a toothpick, add a small dollop of the gel coloring and mix until the color is uniform. Scape the bowl down to make sure all the batter has been dyed.
- In three parts, add the flour with the mixer on low speed. Between each addition of flour, add half the buttermilk. After the last amount of flour has been added, turn the mixer off and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and fold in the remaining flour. Turn the mixer back on to medium-high speed for 10 seconds. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in pan for at least 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Rum Raspberry Filling
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the raspberry rum filling.
- In a medium frying pan, stir together the raspberries, sugar, rum, Chambord (optional) and salt over medium high heat.
- Cook until the berries break down completely and the mixture begins to bubble, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until the mixture has reduced by about 1/3-1/2 and has become thicker. Stir constantly during this process.
- Pour mixture into a glass bowl and set aside to cool. To speed up the cooling process, place the bowl in the refrigerator.
Whipped Mint Buttercream
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and shortening.
- Add the powdered sugar mix on medium for about 30 seconds. Add half the heavy cream and beat on medium high until smooth.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and then mix in the mint extract and salt.
- Add the remaining heavy cream and beat on high for 3-4 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Core the center of each cupcake using and apple corer.
- Fill the hole with raspberry filling, pressing the filling down to the bottom of the cupcake. Fill the hole with enough filling so that it is flush with the top of the cupcake.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a round piping tip with the buttercream.
- Pipe a swirl of buttercream onto each cupcake.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and fresh raspberry.
- Serve immediately.