Celebrate your next birthday with these delicious, colorful Chocolate Funfetti Cupcakes! Full of rainbow jimmies and topped with whipped chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles, these fun treats are sure to make any birthday great!
Since I already made Matty an awesome Toy Story themed checkerborad birthday cake and Alien cupcakes, I wanted to make something a little simpler for his actual birthday. Last year, I made stacked, funetti cookies filled with buttercream for his actually birthday… so this year I decided to go on the same theme and make funfetti cupcakes!
These little cups of cake are filled with rainbow jimmies, topped with a simply delicious whipped chocolate buttercream and decorated with rainbow sprinkles! I thought originally about making a vanilla buttercream to top the funfetti cupcakes, but I decided I wanted to add a little more flavor to the mix and knew that the chocolate would be perfect! I could still dress up the frosting with lots of fun rainbow sprinkles!
The batter was so super easy to make. The recipe for the cake comes from one of my favorite baking blogs, Sally’s Baking Addiction. What drew me to this recipe was the fact that there was no need for a stand mixer to make the batter. I’m all about homemade that doesn’t require creaming the butter and sugar and getting my stand mixer all messy! (Although, I’m still going to have to use it for the frosting!) Sally’s recipe is simple and so easy to put together… and the batter, I could eat it by the spoonful!
I think this recipe may actually turn out to be my “go-to” vanilla recipe. It’s so simple and so good! Next time I might even add a little vanilla bean to the batter punch up the vanilla flavor. Or maybe even use almond flavoring for something different. This recipe would even be great with fresh fruit in the batter or added to the middle of the cupcakes after baking. The possibles are endless with this recipe! Thanks, Sally, for another great recipe!
So, if you’re in need of an easy, super delicious and really fun cupcake… these Chocolate Funfetti Cupcakes are for you!
Interested in these awesome liners? They’re from my favorite party supply shop, Sweets & Treats Boutique! They are grease-proof which means the color will stay bright, bold and beautiful after baking! Don’t these look wonderful?
- 3⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup rainbow jimmies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2lbs powdered sugar
- ½ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- ¾-1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Rainbow sprinkles
- In a large, glass bowl, melt the butter in your microwave.
- While it’s melting, in another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Once the butter has melted, add the sugar and whisk until combined. Set aside for 2-3 minutes or until slightly cooled.
- Add the sour cream and whisk together until smooth.
- Pour in the milk and vanilla and whisk until combined and smooth.
- Add the flour and fold with a spatula until just combined. Switch to a whisk and stir quickly 7-8 times to break up most of the clumps. There will still be clumps in the batter, but do not over mix.
- Pour in the rainbow jimmies and GENTLY fold 4-5 times until combined. You don’t want to overwork the batter with the jimmies… the color will run off the jimmies into the batter if you do.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add half the sugar and mix on high until combined.
- Mix in ¼ cup heavy cream, salt and vanilla.
- Add remaining sugar and beat until incorporated.
- Add up to ¾ cup more heavy cream until you reach your desired consistency. I like a light, smooth, airy buttercream, so I added all the whipping cream.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes until light and fluffy and the color has lightened.
- Using a Wilton 1M piping tip, pipe swirls of frosting onto each cooled cupcake.
- Garnish the frosting generously with rainbow sprinkles on all sides.