Yesterday was my son’s 1st birthday party and I’ve been super preoccupied with getting his Sesame Street cupcakes and all the food ready for that! So… this morning, Easter, I knew I had to whip up something easy, but super cute for the party we are headed to this afternoon. Luckily, my husband stepped up and offered to make them for me… and so here we have Dave’s Funfetti Peeps Cupcakes!
Since this was a last minute endeavor he used a box mix and doctored it up with sprinkles, homemade frosting and some super cute Peeps on top! (I helped just a little bit with the frosting. hehe)
From start to finish I think it took my husband about 90 minutes to make… super easy and sure to be loved by everyone at the party today!
- White box cake mix (plus all the extra ingredients on the box)
- ½ cup rainbow jimmies
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓-1/2 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- rainbow jimmies
- large round piping tip & disposable piping bag
- Peeps chicks
- Prepare cupcake batter as directed on the box. Fold ½ cup rainbow jimmies into the batter before scooping into cupcake liners.
- Bake as directed. Cool in pans for 5-10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar one cup at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla, salt and ⅓ of heavy cream and mix until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl, beat again and test the consistency. If you’d like a thinner frosting, add the remaining heavy cream. Beat on high for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Using a large round tip fitted to a disposable piping bag, swirl one tall later of frosting onto teach cupcake.
- Gently press the rainbow jimmies onto only the sides of the frosting. Top each cupcake with a Peeps chick.
- Store in air tight container for up to 3 days.