Last weekend my neighbors had us over for one big BBQ before school started. Toward the end of the evening, the fire pit was lit and the marshmallows were brought out. It was S’more time!!!
I couldn’t tell you the last time I had a s’more. It had probably been years, to be honest. At first, I wasn’t going to eat one… I was just going to let the kids enjoy it and watch. But, then my wonderful husband roasted the perfect marshmallow. You know… golden on the outside, soft and gooey on the middle… perfect. And, I wanted it. So, I made him give it to me… smushed next to a hunk of Hershey’s chocolate inbetween two graham crackers.
First bite. Heaven. Why don’t we make these more often? I ended up eating two whole s’mores. Yeah. I know, why did I stop at two? haha But… all this s’more goodness got me to thinking about making a s’mores cupcake. One last tribute to the summer, the neighborhood bbq’s and the amazing deliciousness that is graham cracker, chocolate and marshmallow.
So… this cupcake was born. The “End of Summer S’mores Cupcake.” It’s simple in it’s ingredients. Graham cracker crust, my favorite chocolate cake topped with toasted marshmallow frosting and garnished with a chunk of graham cracker and chocolate… but the flavor is all s’mores!! YUM!
Before the summer is over… make these for your family or neighborhood friends. One last tribute to summer and all it’s fun!
Chocolate cake with a graham cracker crust topped with gooey marshmallow frosting, melty chocolate and a graham cracker! Perfect s’mores treat!
Graham Cracker Crust
- 5 graham crackers
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 7oz jar marshmallow fluff/creme
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy cream/milk
- 6 Hershey Chocolate Bars
- 1 box Graham Crackers
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a food processor, crush graham crackers until almost like a flour. Add the sugar and combine with a full pulses. Pour in the butter and pulse until incorporated.
- Press 1 Tbsp of crust into the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter.
- Add the coffee, cocoa powder, espresso powder and vanilla. Whisk to combine and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg and sour cream. Slowly pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Make a well in the flour and add the wet. Whisk until fully incorporated and no lumps remain.
- Scoop batter directly over the baked crust in the liners. Bake about 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack until ready to frost.
- Cream together the butter and marshmallow fluff.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and salt and mix on high until combined.
- Add enough cream until you get your desired consistency.
- Beat on high for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Pipe a dollop of frosting on top of each cupcake. Top with three squares of chocolate and place under the broiler for 10 seconds. DO NOT heat these longer than 10 seconds…. depending on the temperature of your broiler, this may be too long. Heat only until the marshmallow and chocolate turn glossy and barely start to soften and melt. They will continue to melt after you remove them from the broiler. It also helps if you do them 1-2 at a time to better control the heat.
- Place a graham cracker on top of the cupcake.
Left over marshmallow frosting and chocolate? Make real s’mores!