Don’t let these cupcakes fool you. Yes, that may look like a perfect peanut butter cookie on top of this cupcake… but, it’s not! It’s frosting! Can you believe it? (A big shoutout to Annie’s Eats for inspiring me to make my own version of this cupcake after she posted hers!)
When I made my Dark Chocolate Raspberry Curd cupcakes, I saved about a dozen chocolate cupcakes aside so I could turn them into these beauties. I spread a whipped dark chocolate ganache on top of each cupcake and then placed a peanut butter cookie on top. The cookie is actually a scoop of peanut butter frosting formed into a ball, pressed down and embellished with the traditional fork stamping of a peanut butter cookie! Genius, right?!
My husband doesn’t typically enjoy anything I make with peanut butter, but he ate the entire cookie frosting off this cupcake and left the rest. He said it tasted like peanut butter fudge, which he absolutely loves.
I tasted all the ingredients separately and really, this is one cupcake that all three parts really taste better…. together. Don’t get me wrong, the cupcake is awesome, the dark chocolate ganache is yummy and the peanut butter cookie frosting is heaven… but all together in one bite….. OUT OF THIS WORLD!
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Cupcakes
Dark Chocolate Cake
- Follow the directions to make the cake in the recipe here
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Chop chocolate into very small pieces and place in the bottom of a glass bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream until just boiling/bubbling.
- Pour hot cream over the chocolate and let it set for 3-4 minutes without touching or stirring it.
- Using a spatula, stir the chocolate and cream together until smooth.
- Stir in the butter and vanilla.
- If the ganache isn’t as smooth as you’d like it… add more warmed cream to the mixture and continue to stir until you get your desired consistency. NOTE: The consistency you’re looking for a a smooth, yet thick, spreadable consistency.
- Use a wire whisk to whip up the ganache until it’s fluffed up a bit. YUM!
- Spread a 1/4 inch layer of ganache over each cooled cupcake.
Peanut Butter Cookie Frosting
- Cream together the peanut butter and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until incorporated. NOTE: The frosting will be very thick.
- Add a 1-2 Tbsp of heavy cream to loosen up the mixture and make it a little smoother. NOTE: You still want the frosting to be thick, so don’t add too much cream.
- Mix in a pinch of salt to cut back on the sweetness of the sugar. You want the frosting to be full of peanut butter flavor!
- Roll a generous tablespoon of dough into a ball and press flat with your hands. Using a fork, press the traditional peanut butter cookie lines into the cookies.
- Place a frosting cookie on top of each ganache covered cupcake.