Red Velvet Cupcakes

| cream cheese, featured, recipes, red velvet, top posts sidebar, velvet

Red Velvet… I have been scared to attempt you.   So scared.  Your flavor, texture and color are so unique… when you’re done wrong… everyone knows.  But, I can proudly say that as of today, Red Velvet… I HAVE MASTERED YOU and YOU SCARE ME NO MORE!

So moist, so full of flavor and topped with a cream cheese frosting that is to die for, these Red Velvet cupcakes are definitely ones for the recipe book!

Made from a recipe found on Joy the Baker’s website, these Red Velvet cupcakes are super easy to put together!  The cocoa and vinegar add such a unique flavor to the cake which allows the cinnamon in the cream cheese frosting to explode with flavor!

Plus, Joy the Baker said they were her favorite! So I knew they HAD to be good!!

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Recipe from Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook

Makes approx 12-14 cupcakes

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tablespoons red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Turn mixer to high and add the egg. Scrape down the bowl and beat until well incorporated.

In a separate bowl mix together cocoa, vanilla and red food coloring to make a thick paste. Add to the batter, mixing thoroughly until completely combined. You may need to stop the mixer to scrape the bottom of the bowl, making sure that all the batter gets color.

Turn mixer to low and slowly add half of the buttermilk. Add half of the flour and mix until combined. Scrape the bowl and repeat the process with the remaining milk and flour. Beat on high until smooth.

Turn mixer to low and add baking soda and white vinegar. Turn to high and beat a few more minutes.

Spoon batter into a paper lined cupcake baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center cupcake comes out clean.

Let rest in the pan for 10 minutes, then place them of a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
adapted from Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook

2 1/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, cold
scant 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract(not in the recipe, but I added it)

Beat the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and butter together in the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-slow speed until it comes together and is well mixed.

Add the cream cheese all at once and beat on medium to medium-high until incorporated.

Add the vanilla and mix until incorporated.

Turn the mixer to medium-high and beat for 5 minutes, or until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.

Do not over-beat as the frosting can quickly become runny.

Notice anything different about these little cuties?  Yup… they are TALL!!  I used this pan I found at IKEA and the liners that go with the pan!  I seriously think the Swedes are on to something here!

18 Comments on Red Velvet Cupcakes

1. Courtney
    October 11, 2010 at 9:44 pm (4 years ago)

Oh me oh my! I love these! Very charming. Heading to Ikea asap! :)

2. The Rocket Queen
    October 11, 2010 at 9:54 pm (4 years ago)

Oh no!!! No cake flour?!?! It’s what makes it!

I;m also a double red velvet snob……i prefer the traditional cooked vanilla buttercream to the cream cheese frosting.

Sidenote: Swedes don’t use liners! They bake them without. Interesting, no?

October 11, 2010 at 10:08 pm (4 years ago)

I know you told me cake flour…. but this recipe didn’t call for it and I’d never made it before and didn’t want to screw it up!! haha :) NEXT TIME I use your recipe! :)

October 12, 2010 at 10:42 am (4 years ago)

Thanks Joy! Glad you liked them :)

3. Michelle
    October 12, 2010 at 12:24 am (4 years ago)

Beautiful… love the tins. I have never had a red velvet cupcake.. much less made one.. this recipe looks like something I could handle… might have to give it a try :)

October 12, 2010 at 8:11 am (4 years ago)

Michelle….

This recipe is so easy!! Definitely worth a try!!

<3 Betsy

4. aini
    October 12, 2010 at 1:19 am (4 years ago)

pretty pretty cupcakes! and i got the same cupcake cups, from ikea! :D

5. Jeanne Hanigan
    October 12, 2010 at 7:07 pm (4 years ago)

I am one of the proud recipient tasters of these creations. They are delicious. Eating the taller cupcake version is like enjoying an ice cream cone… minus the worry about melting. Thanks, Betsy.

October 12, 2010 at 7:25 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Jeanne…. I mean Ms. Dressel…. I mean Mrs. Hanigan!! :) It was great to see you in class today!! I’m glad you enjoyed the cupcakes!

xoxo Betsy

6. Rose Plated
    October 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm (4 years ago)

Oh. These are really cute! The style is different than the usual cupcakes I make. Thanks for sharing its recipe! I will definitely try this out this coming weekends! I am sure my kids will love this.

7. Melanie Big
    November 7, 2010 at 10:00 am (4 years ago)

This is so indulging and the shape makes me amaze. That is the most cool cupcake that I’ve seen for all the searches. The cream frosting makes it more yummier.

8. Becky
    July 16, 2011 at 8:58 am (3 years ago)

Great RECIPE! Thanks for sharing! Where did you get this fascinating cupcake pan?

July 16, 2011 at 9:55 am (3 years ago)

Becky…
      I got this pan at IKEA! Along with the liners! :)
      Betsy

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Red Velvet Cupcakes

1. [...] For more photos, recipe and where to find the cupcake pan and liners… visit JavaCupcake!! [...]

2. [...] Red Velvet Cupcakes These cupcakes were fun because I made them with special pans and liners from IKEA. Love it when I [...]

3. [...] I filled those awesome liners with my recipe for Red Velvet cake… which, I think I’ve pretty much [...]

4. [...] have much of a selection in the liner department.  I used this pan a few years ago to make Red Velvet Cupcakes and now again with these blueberry cupcakes.  The blue and purple in the liners are really what [...]