Never buy store bought graham crackers again! Instead, use this simple recipe to make your home Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers!
I’ve had the idea to make chocolate graham crackers for several weeks now, but the timing to make them never seemed perfect. I wanted to make them on a day where I could take the bake chocolate graham crackers into the back yard, roast marshmallows, and make s’mores! But, the weather has been yuckie and I was a little busy welcoming home my soldier from Afghanistan!
The great thing about making your own chocolate graham crackers is that you can control the quality of ingredients that go into them. This recipe uses all natural, whole food ingredients and produces a delicious, healthy snack!
Finally, we’ve got a 4-day weekend, the weather is perfect and my husband decided to break out the firepit and picked up some wood from the store. The perfect conditions for s’mores in the back yard.
These Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers made the most amazing base for our s’mores. The dough came together incredibly easy in the mixer and baked up so crisp.
The sweet taste of the honey comes through in these crackers just enough to add the perfect amount of sweetness to compliment the dark chocolate flavor.
Unfortunately, I don’t own a square cookie cutter. So, instead I used a spring themed flower shaped cutter. Which worked out pretty well actually. Any shape cookie cutter could be used as long as it didn’t have any pointy edges, like a star does. You want the crackers to bake evenly without any of the tips burning. Soft edges are best.
To build these s’mores we simple roasted marshmallows over the hot coals of our fire until they were golden brown. Then added a chunk of Lindt dark chocolate to one of the chocolate graham crackers, put the hot marshmallow and another cracker on top and smushed it all together.
So gooey. So delicious. So good.
I’ll take three, please!
I think this summer, I’ll make regular honey graham crackers and homemade marshmallows and use super fancy dark chocolate to make s’mores. Gourmet s’mores! Yum! I can’t wait for that!
Until then… I hope you make these chocolate graham crackers! They’re so easy and so good! Your family will love them!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold & cubed
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, very cold
- Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine on low speed the flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure everything is incorporated thoroughly and that no lumps are visible.
- Add the cubed cold butter and continue mixing on low speed until the butter has broken down into very small pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix together the honey and cold heavy cream. Add this to the mixing bowl and mix on low speed until a dough ball forms. If you dough is too dry and does not come together after 2-3 minute of mixing, add 1 additional Tbsp of cream.
- Separate the dough into two balls and place one on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to about 1/16in thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut 2-3 inch shapes out of the dough and place on prepared baking sheet. You could use a square, circle, rectangle or a flower shape.
- Use a fork to poke holes into the top of each cracker.
- Repeat until all the dough has been used. Chill on baking sheets for about an hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Bake each sheet for about 15 minutes.
- Cool on the pan for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use these graham crackers to make s'mores, dip in chocolate or eat as a snack!
- Store in an air tight container or a ziplock bag for up to a week.
Recipe highly adapted from Happy Food Happy Life
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0g