A sweet guest recipe for you today that transforms your favorite summertime dessert into decadent, delicious Chocolate S’mores Cookies!
Hello there JavaCupcake readers!! My name is Kayle and I’m the gal behind the food blog, The Cooking Actress. In case you didn’t get it…I’m an actress…and I cook. I also live in Ohio (my home state, but I moved here a couple years ago from NYC) with my husband and I love to make homemade crave-worthy foods! There, now we’re introduced. Nice to meet ya 🙂 I’m so excited to be here and help Betsy out while she takes care of her family and prepares for their move and such. She’s seriously one of the sweetest, strongest women I know-I’m sure you all agree. PLUS-she makes some of the most gorgeous and delectable looking sweets, that is just a fact!
Alright now…let’s talk cookies. They’re kinda my thang. I’ve been referred to as the cookie queen on more than one occasion…just sayin’. Ha, but seriously they’re my favorite and I do sort of think of them as my specialty. Which is why I’m always wary of buying cookies because they so rarely live up to my expectations, especially now that I live in OH-which has admittedly fewer quality bakery options than NY did. BUT there is one place I’ve found that has solid cookies…Insomnia. They’re a national cookie chain that has shops located on/near college campuses and they deliver until all hours of the morning. I do not live on a college campus BUT I do live 15 minutes away from Kent, a college town (Kent State University…where my husband is getting his master’s and almost everyone I know went for undergrad)-and they have an Insomnia Cookies, and I have had the pleasure of stopping in and enjoying said cookies on more than one occasion.
Although Insomnia has a few different kinds of tasty looking cookies, I am always drawn to their Deluxe S’mores Cookie—it’s just something I can’t get anywhere else. And I LOVE IT! They’re the kind of smart bakery that serves your cookies warm, as they should be. And the cookie is chocolatey and chewy and has gooey mini marshmallows and little bites of crunchy graham crackers…and I live too far away to have them on the regular. So-I decided to make my own!
Ahhh I was nervous! I tried scouring the internet for their recipe or copycat recipes and nothing was right! I needed a fairly flat, definitely large, yet chewy and gooey and very chocolatey cookie base-I knew as long as I had that I could just add mini marshmallows and graham crackers and that would be simple enough to figure out. So I searched. And I found something I thought might work. And then I adapted it slightly (baking it for less time so they’re softer and chewier, in addition to adding the ‘mallows and grahams). And I reveled in my success….I HAVE DONE IT! I recreated the cookies (…pretty close anyway. As close as I think is possible without the actual recipe) and they are delicious. I’m so excited. And I’m so excited to share them with YOU GUYS!
My brother (who is currently in basic training for the Air Force) shares my love of the s’mores cookies and I know he’d love these. Which is why I’m freezing some to bring to him when I go to his graduation, and why I plan on making and shipping him a batch once he’s out of basic. Because I’m a good sister 🙂 But for reals…these cookies are so decadent and rich and perfectly chewy and they have gorgeously melted chunks of chocolate (I prefer dark but feel free to use milk!) and little bits of graham cracker and then-GUYS-some of the mini marshmallows toast while they bake. So the s’mores-ness is on the next level. They’re everything I wanted them to be and more and I know you’ll all love them as much as I do!
Find more about Kayle here!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. milk or dark chocolate, 4 oz. coarsely chopped, 4 oz. cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 stick (8 tbsp.) unsalted butter
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, divided
- 4 graham cracker squares, broken into small pieces, divided
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt chopped chocolate with the butter in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Remove the bowl from heat and let cool a few minutes. Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla to the chocolate mixture and, using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed until combined.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients on low speed.
- Fold in chocolate chunks, 1/2 cup mini marshmallows, and 2 squares of broken up graham crackers.
- Scoop batter using a large cookie scoop (about 1/4 cup of dough) and place at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press the remaining mini marshmallows and broken up graham cracker bits into the tops of each cookie dough ball (approx. 2 marshmallows and 2 graham cracker pieces per cookie).
- Bake until cookies are slightly only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="165" data-gr-id="165">flattened, about 12 minutes. Let cool on the sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies and inspired by Insomnia Cookies' Deluxe S'mores Cookie.