A twist on the traditional chocolate chip cookie, these Cinnamon Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies are full of flavor, chocolate and are sure to please everyone!
If you’ve been reading Java Cupcake for a while, you may know I kind of have an obsession with buying seasonal candy for baking. Yesterday, I may or may not have bought 10 bags of Christmas candy. Ya, I know. I may have a problem.
Think there’s a Holiday Candy Lovers Anonymous group? Maybe I should ask Crazy for Crust or Love From the Oven… they seem to have the same problem I do. #foodbloggerproblems
Anyhoo… I realized last week that I had bought Fall themed M&Ms and have yet to use them. And with Thanksgiving just a few weeks away I figured I needed to jump on that train and make some cookies!
Tonight, I’m Snack Mom for my daughter’s Girl Scout Troop. I asked Emily what the other moms had been bringing for snack and she told me they had deli sandwiches, fruit, chips and drinks.
Woah. That’s a lot of “snack”.
My idea of a snack is cookies or fruit or popcorn or granola bars. Something homemade, even. So yeah… these girls won’t be getting deli sandwiches. They’ll be getting cinnamon chocolate chip M&M cookies with milk. Lots of cookies. Lots of milk.
I started with my Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe for these cookies. This recipe makes a cookie that’s crisp on the edges, chewy in the middle and has chunks of chocolate chips perfectly running through them. Yeah… they’re bomb. But, because it’s Fall… I wanted to add another layer of flavor to the cookies and decided to add cinnamon to the batter. YUM!
Also, because I didn’t have all day for these cookies, instead of chilling them in the refrigerator, I popped them in the freezer for a couple hours the baked them. The butter int he dough just needed to bet set up enough so that the cookies didn’t run all over the pan when baking. I place a couple extra M&Ms on top of each ball of dough, just to make them pretty and BAM… Cinnamon Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies!
Perfect for Girl Scouts. Perfect for Fall. Perfect.
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsps ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 24 Tbsp (3 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks, large
- 2 Tbsps vanilla
- 1 bag M&Ms in Fall colors, divided
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, corn starch and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugars until no more clumps remain. Add the butter and continue whisking until smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until incorporated.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Reserve 1/3 cup M&Ms then add the remaining with the chocolate chips and fold together.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours. If you have time refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 F degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll 6 large balls of dough and place evenly on the prepared cookie sheet. Press 3-4 of the reserved M&Ms onto each ball.
- Bake 11-13 minutes or until the tops are a light golden color. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Remove immediately.
- Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 2-3 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat process with all the cookie dough.
- Eat warm! Store cookies in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0g