Every holiday season I’m always on the lookout for a great new cookie to add to my recipe box. Last week, more than 500 cookie recipes were posted in the Great food Blogger Cookie Swap including my recipe for Candy Cane Crinkle Blossoms.
While browsing through all the fantastic cookies, I came across these beautiful raspberry almond thumbprint cookies by Saving Room for Dessert. Tricia’s recipe is so simple that I couldn’t resist trying them myself!
In my cabinet I have this beautiful jar of handmade Blackberry jam made by a local German couple. I have tried 5-6 different flavors of their jams and they are THE BEST I’ve ever tasted. I am definitely spoiled being able to have access to such quality, homemade foods here in Germany! So, I decided to use this jam for these cookies and flavor the dough with lemon instead of almond. Lemon and blackberry make an amazing combination, so I’m sure these cookies will be a hit!
PS…. If I were to make these again, I’d make them more like thumbprint cookies and make the hole for the jam bigger… more jam the merrier!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2 cups flour
- Blackberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. I used a hand mixer, but you can use your stand mixer if that's easier for you.
- Add the lemon extract and mix until combined.
- With the mixer on low, blend in the flour. The dough will be clumpy.
- In the bowl, knead the dough 8-10 times or until it's come together to form a ball.
- Wrap dough ball in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape 1 inch balls of dough and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Using the tip of a wooden spoon, press a hole into the center of each cookie at least 1/2 way down.
- Fill each hole with blackberry jam. (I used a piping bag with the jam in it to squeeze into each hole.)
- Bake for 13-14 minutes or until golden brown. Let cookies stand for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, mix the powdered sugar, cream and lemon extract. Drizzle over each cookie. (Again, I filled a piping bag filled with the glaze to drizzle over each cookie.)
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0g