I have yet to find a really good dark in color, dark chocolate buttercream. Today, I think I came pretty close to perfection. I’m going to use this recipe for an upcoming order I have for German Chocolate Cupcake. Yummmmm.
Dark Chocolate Buttercream
6-7 oz dark chocolate (I used a mix of 60% and 70%, but anything above 60% would work great)
1 cup butter, room temperature
2lb powdered sugar (approx 8 cups)
3/4 whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- In a small sauce pan on low, melt the chocolate and set aside.
- In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter.
- One cup at a time, add the sugar. In between each cup add a splash or two of the cream. Mix until smooth after each addition and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Before the last addition of sugar, add the cocoa powder.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- With the mixer on medium-low, slowly pour cooled, melted chocolate into butter/sugar mixture and mix until incorporated. Scrape down the sides again.
- Add remaining cream until it is the consistency you desire.
- On medium-high, mix buttercream for at least 4-5 minutes.