Pumpkin season has officially arrived and to get you excited, I’ve made these incredibly delicious Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes!
*Red Damask Cupcake Liners from Sweets & Treats Boutique*
You may have noticed on Instagram my obsession with the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. My local Starbucks didn’t start selling them until yesterday so I drove all the way to Nurnberg, TWICE, to get my favorite coffee drink! To tide me over, last week I made these pumpkin spice cupcakes topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
The recipe for these cupcakes combines two previous cupcakes I’ve made. The base starts with the cake from my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes and the frosting is a cinnamon cream cheese frosting from my Mardi Gras Cupcakes. The two of these elements together topped with a Hershey’s Pumpkin Spice Kiss create the perfect pumpkin cupcake! I love these even more than I loved my pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes and I LOVED those!
I made these cupcakes for a group of Army wives who were welcoming a new wife into their unit. The reviews I got after the party were that these cupcakes were not only moist, but so full of pumpkin spice flavor. And the cream cheese cinnamon frosting paired perfectly with the pumpkin cake. I’m so thrilled these deserving Army wives were able to enjoy my Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes!
And I hope you will make them and get to enjoy them too!
Happy Pumpkin Everything Season!
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 1/t tsp baking soda
- 1½ - 2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 9 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups pumpkin puree (NOT pie mix)
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12oz cream cheese, soft
- 3lbs powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 1 bag Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the pumpkin puree and whisk until combined and smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla, sour cream and vegetable oil and whisk until combined.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry, flour mixture. Gently fold together until no more dry ingredients can be seen. Make sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl during this process. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Fill the cupcake liners at least ⅔ full with batter.
- Bake 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pans for 3-5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Add the powdered sugar one pound at a time and mix until incorporated after each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon.
- One tablespoon at a time, add the heavy cream until you get the consistency and texture you want.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix for about 15-20 seconds after you have reached that consistency. Do not over work the frosting.
- Using a Wilton 1M open star tip fitted to a piping bag, fill the bag with frosting.
- Pipe a generous swirll of frosting onto the top of each cupcake.
- Press a Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kiss into the middle of the frosting and down.